Home > Trip Reports > June 18, 2010, Silver Peak

June 18, 2010, Silver Peak

6/18/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 6/18/10 10:52am
There was actually sunshine at the Pass today.  The snow pack is low and melting fast.  I was able to park at the hikers TH and could/should have gone farther up the road.  I have a new pair of rando boots so I needed to find the "hot spots" -  Mission Accomplished.

I started hiking on dirt on the hikers trail hoping to find a continuous snow patch to the lower runs - Mission Unsuccessful.  I crossed a couple streams then started a bushwack upward going from snow patch to snow patch.  It took way too long to find the continuos snow going my route.  Once on the lower runs there was sufficient coverage but the steep pitches can be a bit "sporty".   I would assume that if I had followed the road I would have reached continuous snow much sooner and avoided the up/down bushwack.

My new boots were feeling "pretty good" so I did one of my highly uncharacteristic snow related things this season.  I went to Alpental to zero in on those "hot spots".Being Polish does have some downsides.   ::)
We were up there yesterday, too - two skiers and a snowshoer. We found a little better route on our way down, following the edge of the clearcut (out of the clearcut down low, in the forest higher up). There's a good-sized patch of snow just about the first footbridge on the PCT, but it doesn't connect. Expect about 400 vf of hiking before you get to the snow.

I thought the hiking was totally worth it. The snow was even cornier than last weekend.

Reply to this TR

june-18-2010-silver-peak
Zap
2010-06-18 17:52:27