Home > Trip Reports > June 12, 2010, Tatoosh, Lane Peak, Zipper and Fly

June 12, 2010, Tatoosh, Lane Peak, Zipper and Fly

6/12/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by scott_rinck on 6/14/10 4:46pm
Found a little slice of heaven in the north facing Zipper and Fly couloirs on Lane peak in the Tatoosh.  The first genuine day of summer weather in Seattle left me minus a ski partner for Saturday so I headed down to the Tatoosh to ski some corn in the Unicorn basin.  Plans are made to be changed though, as pulling into the parking lot at Narada falls, I was drawn to the twin lines on Lane peak that have been begging for me to ski them since the first time I saw them.  I parked the car in the pullout just before Reflection Lake and headed down the Tatoosh Creek drainage directly to the base of Lane.  I am happy to report that the snow is continuous from the road, down to the valley and back up to the peak. 

I was climbing a little after 9am in great spring snow that was allowing easy steps all the way up.  I climbed the Fly (the chute on lookers right) first as it appeared most likely to get sun first.  Before long I was at the top, and on my way down.  The snow was as good as can be hoped for in June, smooth, carvable and fast.  Once the chute fanned out the sun exposed snow was a little more sluggish, so I pulled over to transition back into climbing mode, this time up the Zipper.  The first two thirds were a pleasant repeat of the easy run up the Fly.  Then I ran into the schrund.  Undaunted, I climbed the rock wall to the right to make my way into the upper part of the line.  Looking down from the top I knew I didn't want to downclimb the steep slick rocks I had just climbed...hmm.

The weather at the top of the chute was incredible and I enjoyed some big views and warm sun.  Skiing down the upper chute was the same fantastic spring snow I had found in the Fly, so good that it allowed for a painless air over the schrund and a quick exit from the second fantastic line of the day.  It was noon and my to do list was checked so I took a nap on a rock, skinned up to the car and switched out my gear for my road bike.  Three more hours of sporting in one of the most beautiful places in the world, and I was ready to call it a day.  Nothing beats Washington in June!
Nice dual sport effort.  Looks like some fun skiing for sure.

Nice job of getting that.
From your picture the chute looks wider than what it appears from a distance.
Pretty sporty leap of faith over the shrung to land on a narrow strip of snow.  ;)
Tough to arc em to dump speed in a rock lined chute.
Nice  8)

Scott,

Very nice TR and photos.  Many of us have stopped and looked at the chutes hoping to see a  track of a "sporty" descent.  Glad to hear there was snow from the parking area to the base.  I've wondered how much of a bushwack that descent would be from the road. It would have been enjoyable to see you ski down. There are a few chutes near Ellery Bowl off the Dana Plateau near Tioga Pass that look very similar. Just in case your "list" is getting short.  ;)

Nice Scott!  Looks like a base-grind landing over that schrund.

One of the times when speed is your best friend.  Those rocks were sizable, sharp and not to be tangled with.

Reply to this TR

june-12-2010-tatoosh-lane-peak-zipper-and-fly
scott_rinck
2010-06-14 23:46:27