Home > Trip Reports > June 18-20, 2004, Bacon Peak

June 18-20, 2004, Bacon Peak

6/18/04
Posted by zenom on 6/23/04 9:45am
With remoteness and adventure in mind, we set out for Bacon Peak. Had to hike to Watson lakes but ski traversed from there all way to the summit except for the steep sections booted. Burgdorfers book shows the route going north of point 5580 about half way to Bacon Peak, and also gives specific coordinates for a saddle just to the east of point 5580. The correct easy route is instead to go around to the south of 5580, per Becky. Going north per Burgdorfer would be very difficult or dangerous with ski's and no protection. From the saddle south west of point 5580, we skied down about 1000 ft to the lakes at about 4400 ft and set up camp. Approached Bacon the next morning following the steep rock gullies and up to the snow ramps leading to the summit glaciers.  Signed the register and took in the views. We skied down following our ascent except had to put ski's on our packs for the Fred Becky descent route down through minor cliffs and trees back to camp. Early as possible in the spring would be a more ideal time for skiing.  Also a possibly easier alternate approach might be going down into Noisy creek drainage somewhere east of Watson Lakes then follow the contours of choice to the visible summit. Here's a photo of my partners Pam Baker and Justin Canny approaching the summit. In the distance are Peaks in the Cascade Pass area.

Nice photo!  I'm always meaning to get up there "one of these days," but by all indications it will never happen.  I do know someone who claims to have worked out all the best routes in that area, and could probably put you in touch if you intend to make a specialty out of it.  

Thanks for the report.

Mark

Very nice.

I wish I had a map with me here at the office.

What do you call that peak in the foreground?

Last week Lowell Skoog posted a report about skiing the Watson Traverse.  I meant to ask him if that was the same person Mt. Watson is named for.  In fact I meant to ask him that when he put on his show in Bellingham.

I really like that photo.  Thanks for posting it.

Mark: Thanks for the offer.

Wickstad: I'm not aware that the peak in the foreground has a name.

The terrain inspires more trips.  

Zeno,

I didnt really know where you guys went when we saw you on Sunday.  Looks pretty cool on the map as well as in the foto.  How would the coverage be for the BAcon Haggan Blum traverse?

DWayne

Hey Dwayne,

Coverage is a bit spotty now. I think there would be too much on/off/on of ski's for my liking right now. The south slopes of Hagan looked a bit dry too, but perhaps the right gullies could be found to make it go. There were some snow fingers going up. The traverse would be really sweet in May (or earlier), or maybe early June in a better snow year.  

Reply to this TR

june-18-20-2004-bacon-peak
zenom
2004-06-23 16:45:05