Home > Trip Reports > June 6, 2010, Mt Bierstadt (14,060')

June 6, 2010, Mt Bierstadt (14,060')

6/6/10
Posted by MW88888888 on 6/14/10 10:22am
Day 49
Mt Bierstadt via NE couloir along Sawtooth Ridge
Vertical skied: about 1,700 VF

We didn't see a soul until we were within 200 yards of the summit.  I almost forgot there was a dog route up.  Until then we had seen no-one, even on this sunny Sunday morning.  Our route certainly lived up to the adventure we were looking for. 

Parking on the Mt Evans road at 13,200' and hiking DOWN 1,000 VF to start (down unknown class 3 and 4) was certainly a new twist in mountaineering.  For the rest of the day the anxiety of climbing back out plagued my serenity.  Luckily, I knew it would be easier to climb up what we had come down - assuming we could find the right gully on the return.  Shouldn't be a problem, but, what if?  No bother, we'd cross that bridge when we got there.

As we neared Bierstadt from Abyss Lake on its north side, our intended route came into view.

I had my doubts.   On the drive past Mt Evans, the routes looked feeble by comparison to prior years.  In fact, I had a hard time piecing together a line on the huge east face and I feared Bierstadt would look the same. 

Sometimes you have to just buy the ticket and take the ride.  We drove on to our target.

So it was with much relief that the summit couloir and the connecting traverse to the double fall line couloir down the North Face appeared as we rounded Abyss Lake.  But didn't exactly remove all the doubt.  Would the summit couloir be skiable?  It looked dicey from below, but what doesn't? Only one way to find out.

When we got to the summit, it was a little shocking.  There must have been 15 people milling about, walking up in tennis shoes and shorts on the easy west face dog route.  Our snowboards certainly produced quite the buzz - what exactly were we going to ski?  The route they had come up was barren as the surface of Mars.  The snow of the North face went literally to the summit and could only be seen when standing on the top.  They had experienced none of the crampon and ice axe work we had enjoyed so it was kind of like climbing Mt Washington (or Mt Evans for that matter) - there were tourists and mountaineers rubbing shoulders, each enjoying the edge of their experiences; Ah, the humanity!

Wayne dropped in first and as he disappeared around the bend, dropping into the summit couloir proper, I heard a yelp of joy.  Oh yes, we were set!    The crowd of on lookers then turned their attention to me, and with a couple deep breaths, I was gone.
Yikes, skiable only to 12360' altitude, and a thousand foot rubble climb to get back to the car!  We skied back to the car at 3750' yesterday, the Rockies are really rocky I guess?  Congrats on your determination and fortitude.

author=silaswild link=topic=16936.msg71255#msg71255 date=1276574890]
Yikes, skiable only to 12360' altitude, and a thousand foot rubble climb to get back to the car!  We skied back to the car at 3750' yesterday, the Rockies are really rocky I guess?  Congrats on your determination and fortitude.

This is the reason I left Colorado after a few years and moved back to the PNW. :) We are indeed spoiled up here.

Way to get after it! :)

I lived and skied in CO for a couple years.  I remember sitting on the lift at A Basin talking to folks about skiing in the PNW. 

Sure there's some swell powder here, but y'all ain't got no base.  I don't think they understood.  ;D

Indeed, having lived in both places now, I've grown to love both experiences.  It's funny how Colorado folk are Powder snobs and PNW folks are Corn snobs. 

We love what are accustomed to, I guess.  It's all snow to me!

That looks like fun guys. I am going to have to make it down there one of these times and check it out.

I'm heading up to Chinook tomorrow Mike, staying away from the kickers this time though.

Reply to this TR

june-6-2010-mt-bierstadt-14-060
MW88888888
2010-06-14 17:22:37