Home > Trip Reports > June 12, 2010, melting silver

June 12, 2010, melting silver

6/12/10
Posted by silaswild on 6/12/10 10:06am
Great corn on all aspects around Silver Peak all day today. Early in the day, there was a very thin ice crust on slopes that had not seen the sun. We did a few laps on the nice west slope, moving further left each run to get less sun baked snow.  The talus slope is showing cracks and holes now, as is the alder at the end of the run we did last week.

Even with the rapid melting we skied continuous snow back to Windy Pass. Next weekend is likely to be a very different story, perhaps time to move north for skiing from the car.  The two week season at Silver has been unusually good this year. 20 or so enthusiasts enjoyed it today, perhaps Snow Trooper will have video.
Silas, so nice to meet you and your gang last week. Guess I taught you a new meaning to slow.

It was cool to meet up with you today!  Thanks for letting me tag along.  Here are a few pictures from the day.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24832&id=100000218445455&l=77ec75b4dd

I was there!

Here's a photo from the road.

Met Jacob on a split Lib Tech, and Seth, who offered me a ride on his snowmobile for laps in the bowl. My preparation finally paid off - Jacob needed a screwdriver and I had one :)

I saw 5-6 guys with a dog who took a route I wasn't sure would get me to the car without skinning up again (no-no, can't do!), and also 5 or so boarders who went the other slope earlier - who were you guys?

Cheers
Ivo

author=FreeBird link=topic=16906.msg71173#msg71173 date=1276394379]
It was cool to meet up with you today!  Thanks for letting me tag along.  Here are a few pictures from the day.

Thanks for the 21st century skiing demo, big high speed turns.  The pics say it all, a great day to be in the mountains, great snow, and great company.  The party will reconvene tomorrow, same time, same place.

What a blast it was up there! We got in one more run down the backside after you left, Silas, and it was just as good as our trip down with you. There was that one dodgy traverse across hollow snow over talus where I heard the unsettling sound of settlement as I quickly crossed, but everything held up for us yet again. We took a nice steep and shaded line down from the knoll, just on the east side of the ridge dividing the west and east lobes of Silver's north basin. There was a "if you fall you hit a big tree hard" couple of turns (not exactly "if you fall you die," at least in all likelihood, but certainly held my attention) and a need to avoid a moat and associated overhanging snow in one narrow slot, but it was basically a really fun way back down to the top of the windy acres clearcut.

And we enjoyed several waves of socializing up on the ridge crest, with Randy, Silas, BigSteve and his party of of NWHikers regulars, Snoqualmie Snow Troopers (what a strong-skiing duo!) with the cool dogs and funky muti-cam helmet setup, my pal Cor who slept in and joined us on our last couple of runs, Kam (not the ski-building Kam from TAY) who Cor knows through a friend, some WSTC guys who Randy has skied with, and a whole bunch of other happy fun folks, most of whom seemed to know someone else who they stumbled across during the day. Festive!

What an amazing day to be in the mountains skiing.  It was nice to meet all the folks enjoying the mountain.

I met a couple of concerned hikers at the trailhead.  "Is this the trailhead for Silver Peak?  Why does everyone have skis?" they asked.  After telling them they were at the right place they decided that the weren't up for hiking in the snow.

We got a late start (12:30) so we stuck to the shade of the trees on the climb up.  We enjoyed and nice ski down to Annette Lake.  Had an unplanned air over a large gap in the snow that I didn't see until the it was too late.

Here's a video capturing all the fun of a wonderful day.
http://thesnowtroopers.com/2010/annette-lake-wa-steep-and-long-june-12th-2010

Reply to this TR

june-12-2010-melting-silver
silaswild
2010-06-12 17:06:47