Home > Trip Reports > June 5, 2010, Mt Baker 3-fer/trifecta

June 5, 2010, Mt Baker 3-fer/trifecta

6/5/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 6/6/10 12:07pm
Dunno about the rest of you, but this weather with its quickly changing flows is wrecking a havoc on planning and coordination of trips.  Especially when you mostly have the weekends to play with.  A stellar trip plan for a Garibaldi Sunday trip was changed late Friday pm to a Saturday ski of Baker due to an updated weather forecast.........passport to be deployed another time, hustle hustle and on the road a little before 8 pm.

Dave, Monika, Richard, and I were SKINNING! from the car 1/4 mile before the Schreiber's Meadow TH about 0630 under cloudy and hazy skies.  Follow drainage N and just shy of Crag View we were out of the fog and into the sun.  Various plans were discussed along the way.  At 8000 we decided on Colfax and set a traverse to get us across Squak, Easton, and Deming glaciers to the CD col.  We wanted to ski a S facing line skied by Volken, Stafford, and Schoenwald in 2006, but it looked to be full of rime and ice and not to be this time around.  Skied off the 1st summit of the day and down to the CD col.

It was early and we had still some left in the legs so we booted up the Roman Wall and across the flats to ski off Grant and the 2nd summit of the day.  The Roman Wall (skiers left version) was still pretty frozen and not a buttery delight.  Stopped at the crater for the smells.

Monika convinced us that we had enough gu in the legs to keep it going for a 3rd summit and shortly thereafter we were skiing rime ice again off Sherman and the 3rd summit of the day.

Super duper stellar day fer sure and to be able to ski all the way back to the car - ka-ching!

It was nice meeting you guys by the crater.  I wouldn't have gotten the motivation to ski Sherman if I hadn't seen you guys charge up there.

My wife Randi got to enjoy Baker on her third ever touring day.  What a treat to ski back to the car after an amazing weather day.  There is still very little crevasse danger on the Easton and Squak from what we observed.  Considering the unfortuante events at Rainier on the same morning, we saw no slide activity except for the slabby stuff the sno-mos had kicked off low down on the steeper walls, nothing that propagated significantly. 

Wow. It looks good up there! Nice fun for sure.

It sure does look good!  Nice trip y'all. Hope to be joining you in the not too distant future....

Way to keep up the motivation. This has been a tough month for weather.

Nice work Oyvind, way to take advantage of the weather.

Assorted friends, relatives, TAYers and European guests are joining forces with the intent of climbing Baker from this side next weekend. We will have a number of difficult decisions to make because of the uncertain weather and stability conditions. Thanks for the most recent route conditions.

Nice trip. We saw you traversing the Deming earlier in the day. The new snow sure got gloppy lower down later in the day!! And icy up top. For all you "greenies" out there, snowmobiling is coming to an end. It could be closed by the FS this week. Now, you will just have to share the mtn. with the HUGE #'s of clueless people with expedition size packs attending instructional groups.

Oyvind, Monika and Dave - GREAT skiing with you guys as usual!  I'll post more pics tonight.

Pictures from our trip.

Oyvind, Monika, Greg, Randi, can't believe I missed out on this one!  Glad you all had a great time.  Nice job Randi on your third tour!

Looks good.....

Fun times!

Trifecta Perfecta!  super nice to stumble upon easy travel conditions and sunshine with the weather tossing plenty of the opposite this spring.

Randi climbed up with her heavy alpine volkl kikus and can't remember but maybe with marker bindings. 
Anyway Go Randi!! --Three's a charm ;)  A real pleasure to meet you and your husband.

Rock on!!!

Oyvind and Monika... dig the pants coordination ;)

Richard, your shot of Oyvind on Colfax is superior.  Action, anticipation, well framed ~ nice job, to both of you.    dg

Oyvind and Monika... dig the pants coordination ;)

Yeah so those are women's pants size 10, Patagonia special on some web site about $60 bucks after all the discounts.  What can I say, I am a teams player ;-)

Sorry to have missed the tow Toby ;-)

Nice trip!

I too wear womens pants.  75$ on steap and cheap.

Reply to this TR

june-5-2010-mt-baker-3-fer-trifecta
Oyvind_Henningsen
2010-06-06 19:07:01