Home > Trip Reports > May 30, 2010. Mt. Bachelor, Oregon

May 30, 2010. Mt. Bachelor, Oregon

5/15/10
OR elsewhere
Posted by bcglaxer on 6/1/10 7:17am
Every year Memorial Day rolls around and I spend hours on the weather channel trying to figure out where it might actually be sunny in the Northwest, and every year it seems like Bend is the only option. So the wife and I threw the skis in the car and off we went with Mt. Bachelor as our destination (the ODOT website still listed the Cascade Lakes Highway as closed, otherwise we might've tried the South Sister which has been on my list for years). The mountain is still packed with snow. If it were a little colder, there's no reason the mountain couldn't still be open for operation. As we started up, the clouds started to break and it looked like we'd have a clear skin to the summit. The snow was a bit sticky, but nothing too bad. Unfortunately, after we gained about 1000 feet, some nasty clouds started to roll in and the skies opened up. Not wanting to become lightening rods, we hurried down back to the car and retreated back to Deschutes for some brews. Monday's weather looked pretty poor when we woke up so we threw in the towel and drove back to Seattle. Anyone else sick of the rain? I can't escape it wherever I go.

Brian
Sorry you got shut out (so to speak).  Bachelor looked nice from Broken Top on Saturday and would have been good.  It's been a frustrating year down here with the weather, but the snowpack is holding up well so hopefully it sticks around for awhile :)

We got lucky at Diamond Peak.  Went in Saturday afternoon in cloudless skies, and skied it Sunday in beautiful weather.  Did not start raining until we got back to Eugene.  FYI, Diamond is in as good a shape as I've seen it at this time of year -- LOTS of above treeline snow and steep lines are in that are normally rocky and not skiable.  Continuous skinning from Corrigan Lake (we were able to drive within an 1/8th of a mile of the trailhead).  We were able to skin all the way to the summit without removing the skis.  The snow pack was a bit sticky, but nice overall.

Reply to this TR

may-30-2010-mt-bachelor-oregon
bcglaxer
2010-06-01 14:17:56