Home > Trip Reports > May 24, 2010, University Peak, NE Gully, E. Sierra

May 24, 2010, University Peak, NE Gully, E. Sierra

5/24/10
US elsewhere
Posted by prestonf on 6/1/10 4:13am

The corn cycle in the Eastern Sierra kept getting messed up by little storms and lots of wind, but at least it wasn't raining.  This gully is kind of a road shot -- well, more of a parking lot shot -- above Onion Valley near Independence, CA. 

Preston,

WOW !  I can't believe the snow pack that still remains on Unviversity Peak. The Onion Valley terrain is usually marginal the first week of May. The upper section also sloughed in 2008 when I ski cut it and I noticed a similar sloughing in your photo.

The video was enjoyable, especially your 4 legged ski buddy.

This has been an unusual season in The Sierra.  I saw some good reports from Tioga Pass.

Jill had her hip fail during our trip in The Sierra.  She had a Total Hip Replacement surgery on May 24 and will be skiing again next season.

Keep the reports coming ! ;)

Hi Zap,

Still good coverage up the Robinson Lake drainage and there was still snow to the parking lot (although it was quite beat up).  The other drainages had melted out down low, but probably still OK once on the snow.  The Independence Peak gully was still good to go, although might have to walk on dirt to get to it (for about five minutes  ;)).  I guess all the wintery weather has kept some of the southerly areas viable later than normal.

I somehow managed to sluff the top of the slope even though there was only about a half inch of new snow on top of a crust, and it ran a couple of hundred feet, although it didn't build up at all.  I was surprised, but the top of that run is really steep.

I'm back in the PNW now, although I might have to go back again and ride in some of the areas that I missed out on, like Tioga Pass.

Glad to hear your ski partner will be on the slopes next year.  Look forward to more of your road trip reports next season!  I need to get a camper or a RV or a Sportsmobile, and definitely something with higher clearance.  I abused my Outback on some of those roads like the ones up in the Buttermilks! Not recommended!

Reply to this TR

may-24-2010-university-peak-ne-gully-e-sierra
prestonf
2010-06-01 11:13:02