Home > Trip Reports > May 31, 2010, Alpental

May 31, 2010, Alpental

5/31/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by lernr on 5/31/10 11:58am
Silaswild's report and drive considerations helped decide to go to Alpental today.

Arrived some time after noon, in rain. Not good, almost headed back, but decided to check it out as there were many cars in the lot. Heard some 'yahoos' so waited till a couple of guys descended and said snow was pretty good, definitely worth the climb in the rain, asked me to snap some photos of them and posited that I have to go up since I was already here. One was from Edmonds, the other from Seattle.

So back to the car to get gear and change. Same guys were giving out beers in the parking lot and there were NO takers. I had an excuse - about to start up, but I don't know about the others who opted out. This was interesting.

Halfway up Chair 1 met a Russian guy descending and we chatted a bit. His wife was waiting him in their car, so I didn't want to keep him too long. He said in 2008 lift was still open for Memorial day. I tried to cheer him up by saying that this way we get more exercise but this didn't have the intended effect. Guess he didn't need the exercise - I must say he was fast, as I saw when he left (I was still fiddling about the car) and when I met him he had gone up halfway Chair 2 and skied down most of the way back. Looked like a very good skier.

So there was some slipping with the skins and mostly rain even up. Maybe extremely wet snow, but this is probably stretching it. Decided to stop at the shack for Chair 1 and head down after some rest. The 2 keys for the lift were in the console and the heat was on, btw.

The ski down was very enjoyable, had to stay on the skis and it took me some time to go down because I had to make 3(!) stops, several minutes each, to get my breath and legs back. Same run on my board I don't stop, my legs don't feel any fatigue, and my breathing is normal, thank you very much. Guess I need more practice on the skis. Maybe the board is just so much easier  ;)

On the top of the 'wall' in front of the patio met a guy who was just starting up. Seemed like an expert, and had nice stuff, including those Trabs that Clive at Marmot told me were "a steal for $500". The ones with this weird shape at the tip, like a big toe. Also passed a person who was booting down, skis on shoulder. We chatted a bit and he seemed OK, so I didn't ask why he isn't skiing. Should I have asked? What is ski touring etiquette in such cases? I don't want to sound like an intrusive and arrogant as$, but I also don't want to appear as unwilling to help  ??? Would be good to know for future...

At the end of the bridge saw a pair of 2"-wide (or less) purple skins. Not sure if someone forgot them or left them there as a freebie. Didn't take them.

Glad I met the two guys, otherwise I wouldn't have had such a great day!

Cheers
Ivo
Those skinny kicker skins were mine....damn.....was just posting to see if anyone picked them up.  I was one of the four in the lot as you headed up, beer passer #2.

Sorry to hear it was less then spectacular, I thought it was another day in paradise.

Anybody pick up the skinny skins I'd be thrilled to get them back...not sure how they ended up at the bridge.  Maybe the liftshack party before starting down had something to do with it ;-).

Foggy ghost slopes and fast turns today, fun picking through the last drop to the patio!

I hope you get the skins back! Really looked like someone left them there on purpose. I think someone may have found them on the patio or along the bridge and left them there for you.

Today was pretty great; for me Paradise = waist deep powder and still snowing.
Nevertheless, turns today were very good, indeed - I am not complaining at all!

Cheers
Ivo

The snow at alpental skied fine today, not a hint of flypaper anywhere. It was fast and well consolidated. I think the lack of sun this week really helped the surface to corn up nicely. The snow was dirty, but still skied well. I only skinned to the the top of chair 1 and everything I skied was fine. It was a nice day with no sun and only a hint of a drizzle here and there.

Nice to meet you morgan.

*I passed on the beer in the parking lot. I just didn't feel like a beer at that moment.

Was up there, 3-5:30. Skins were still there @ 3 but might have been gone when I returned.

I guess I was "sweep" since I saw people downward on my way up but no one else still climbing, and saw no one on descent. C1 was still humming on standby WTF. Saw big grey tarp base C2. Maybe they were working on the repairs today?

Snow definitely more fun less sticky than last Monday. Nice spring snow really. Unfortunately there are cover problems starting - Sessel run is close to done, and other C1 runs had fair #s of creek holes showing. Still might be worth it for a week or two tho.

Rained maybe half the time, which is definitely a win over constant rain at least psychologically. Weather was good enough at the moment that I went ahead to top of C2. Upper Rollen means of ascent/descent barely worked and might be no good for next attempt. Still the run was good enough that I would have done some laps given better weather.

I was there on Memorial Day 2008. That was a damn fine day. Hope to see late May liftserv at Alpy again in the future.

On drive back saw outright blue sky, then noticed that whole Puget Sound areas had basically cleared up. Grrr. This Mem Day weekend definitely will me in MY memory as one where the weather really pissed me off.

Reply to this TR

may-31-2010-alpental
lernr
2010-05-31 18:58:44