Home > Trip Reports > June 18, 2004, Mt Hood, Snowdome

June 18, 2004, Mt Hood, Snowdome

6/18/04
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 6/22/04 8:44am
Jonathan (posts as jshefftz) from Boston, Mass. and Ben from South Lake Tahoe, CA recently visited me for a 4 day PNW Volcano trip. For day 1 we choose to ski the beautiful Snowdome on the Northeast side of Mt Hood.

As expected we found Cloud Cap road gated 3 miles past Cooper Spur ski area which left two options for reaching Snowdome: 1) Hike the Tilly Jane trail, 2) Park at the Cloud Cap gate and hike the Wagon trail. Given the directness of the TJ trail I decided option #1 would be most efficient even though we'd have to gain more elevation then option #2.

After a late start and a long hike we eventually reached the base of Snowdome around 3:30pm. The 'dome was perfectly smooth w/o any crevasses visible. We skinned up to the mini roll at 9100' then skied down. Given our tardiness the snow was better then we expected, it was creamy and soft but not frightingly saturated. A few portages ensued so we could ski the snowfield below langile crags after whcih we gained the Eliot glacier's west moraine and following it to the Timberline trail and Cloud Cap. At Cloud Cap we followed the trail to TJ hut which we missed on the ascent as it was unintuitivly signed 'Tilly Jane Campground' rather then 'Tilly Jane Campground and Cloud Cap'.

The Snowdome:

More photos can be seen here.

Stats for the day:
Total vertical climbed: 5900'
Total vertical skied: 2400'
Miles hiked+skinned+skied: 11.8
Gaper,  Great trip.  The Snowdome is a wonderful area,especially descending the Langille Bowls down to the wildflowers at the Timberline trail. :)  

Is there a contact source as to when the road to Cloud Cap is open ?  Zap

Gaper,  Great trip.  The Snowdome is a wonderful area,especially descending the Langille Bowls down to the wildflowers at the Timberline trail. :)  

Is there a contact source as to when the road to Cloud Cap is open ?  Zap

Indeed Snowdome is a wonderful area. To get up to date road conditions you can call the Hood River ranger district @ (541) 352-6002. I actually just called them and they told me they hope to have the road open this weekend. Last year the road opened on June 28th.

It would have been nice to ski the Langille bowls all the way to the T-line trail however given the lateness of the day and possible route issues caused by snow-cover on the T-line trail, it seemed prudent to stick to our ascent route as much as possible.

Hey Gaper,

Awesome Pic. If the weatherpeoples are wrong for the weekend, I'll be heading to the dome. You didn't mention anything about crossing the Eliot runoff, so I assume its well covered. Any issues there though? Thanks,

To cross Eliot creek we carefully hiked across a snowbridge which was near where the new trail that crosses Eliot creek is. Also near where we crossed the snowbridge was the new wooden summertime bridge which was laying in the dirt, not installed. I bet once they open the road they'll install that bridge pretty quickly.

If the USFS indeed opens the road, the forecast improves, I get caught up in my work and all the stars align properly I will probably be at da 'dome again this weekend.

Reply to this TR

june-18-2004-mt-hood-snowdome
Jeff Huber
2004-06-22 15:44:46