Home > Trip Reports > Silver Peak, May 30

Silver Peak, May 30

5/15/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by teledavid on 5/30/10 8:03am
I thought i would try to hit the narrow weather window this morning and got to Hyak this morning at 9 am.  The snow starts and driving ends about 2/3 of a mile from Windy saddle.  There are a few bare spots on the way and one will probably be able to drive to very near the saddle next weekend.  Started skinning in the sun but clouds quickly came in and began brushing the tops of the peaks.  The snow was surprisingly firm for how warm it was (50 degrees).  At about 5300' i was in the clouds and the steep NE facing slopes were getting punchy.  I skied down from here because i couldn't see beyond this point of the NW ridge.  The snow was a little tricky the first few turns then excellent the rest of the way down.  I skied down at about 10:30 (had a BBQ to get ready) and it had not started raining yet.

The first picture is looking back at Snoqulamie Mtn. and the second is looking down the run from about 5300' on the NW ridge.
author=teledavid link=topic=16791.msg70489#msg70489 date=1275260583]
I thought i would try to hit the narrow weather window this morning and got to Hyak this morning at 9 am.

Sounds familiar, Silver was our intent, at about the same time.  We headed for Alpental instead, shorter drive, quicker altitude gain.  Thanks for the report, how was the condition of the road?

yeah, i thought that would be my back up spot if i couldn't get up the road.  The road is fine, kind of rough but certainly drivable for even a 2wd, just a lot of big pot holes.  You can drive within about 2/3 of a mile of the pass.

Reply to this TR

silver-peak-may-30
teledavid
2010-05-30 15:03:03