Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2004, Maaaa Mountain, The North Side

June 20, 2004, Maaaa Mountain, The North Side

6/20/04
Posted by kam on 6/22/04 5:50am
Sheeps say "baaaa" and goats say "maaaa".

We were a split party.  Michael and I were going to ski and Corinne, Stephanie and Suzanne planned to hike with us up the south side of Goat Mountain and then come pick us up on the north side.  We got a late start and arrived at the Goat Mountain TH (2400 ft.) off Hannegan Pass road at 11:15am. Anyway, from the topo, it looked reasonable to drop into the north side from the south side.  The snow is melting fast on the south side, but the patches start around 5400 ft. We stopped at about 6000 ft. for lunch and to soak up the impressive views.  Mount Shuksan and Mount Baker demanded all our attention.  After a 1.5 hours of sunbathing and relaxing, Michael and I continued to the west peak leaving Corinne and company to descend back to the car.  We decided to meet them on Twin Lakes road, just above the Tomyhoi TH, at 6:30pm.

On the west peak Michael and I had a good look around.  Sure enough, we could easily ski down the north side and down the gully that separates the east and west peaks.  From our vantage point, we salivated over the great lines pouring from the top of the east peak, which stands a bit higher.  Michael and I spent about 30 minutes shooting photos and trying to figure how to wax his skis.  The heat caused skin glue to stick to the base of his skis.  With no wax on hand, we tried some fancy French cheese.  Michael is French so he knows a lot about fancy cheeses.  Surprisingly, the cheese worked!  Michael is going to patent his new idea: Backcountry CheeseWax.  At 4:30pm, we descended the north side.  The snow was in excellent condition, very well consolidated and barely affected by the hot weather -- talk about fresh hand-schucked corn!  We leaped frogged down the gully taking turns shooting photos and admiring the view:

Overall, the main gully is very open, gentle and a fun ski. Steeper terrain falls from the west and east peaks of Goat Mountain into the gully.  At 4800 ft., the gully narrows and drains into Swamp Creek.  The snow was rotten in spots and at one point I accidentally skied over a gapping dark hole filled with the sound of rushing water.  Yikes.  We skied over a mix of snow, rocks, and various debris down to ~4100 ft. where the snow stops and the rocks and water start.  From there, a short 15 minute hike got us on the Twin Lakes road.  We decided to contour right and climb toward the first of a series of switchbacks leading to Twin Lakes.  Our choice appeared easier than the straight schwack to the road.  The time was 5:30pm when we took our boots off and at 7:45pm, Corinne and the others arrived to pick us up. It was a great day in the mountains.  click here for more photos.

-kam
Nice terrain, Kamster.
You sure do know how to find the goods; looks like you skied your pants off, eh?  ;)

Nice report Kam, looks like a good spot.   8)

Thanks for sharing your photos.  Nice job you guys.  First it's "Jarvis Jelly" and now "CheeseWax", what next?  ;D  ;D

Thanks Kam for the great pictures. Was really fun! Many other places to check out up there. In the mean time, let's get our CheesWax patented :-)

"Nice terrain, Kamster. You sure do know how to find the goods"

Seriously - however did you come up with such a sneaky place to ski?  Sure looked fun!

You're dead to me.

"Nice terrain, Kamster.
You sure do know how to find the goods";

Kam- I second Skip's comments...remember who initially showed you those goods last year ???  
Poacher!

"why so angry inside?" said the little boy.

no friends on a powder day.
powder snow is hero snow.
corn snow is hero snow.
then, 'no friends on a corn snow day'.
QED. ;D

Aha, excellent trip Kam! I was just below you all on the Nooksack Cirque trail... (no skiing, just trail maintennance with the WTA and photographing a hidden waterfall...)

Chris, Skip, you'all can join me next time up there - been looking at the north side since hiking to Winchester last octomber.

Kam - can you recommend climbing up the gully from the Twin Lakes road? A traverse from Twin Lakes might also be fun...

Kevin,

The Twin-Lakes approach is what we initially had considered, but that was largely because the ridge from between there and Goat was snow-free.  I've been wondering whether it would be sketchy with snow on it, as it's rather exposed.

Thoughts, Kam?

Kevin & Skip:

the most straightforward approach, i think, is to go up the gully.  my advice is to start at the first major switchback before the road climbs to Twin Lakes (~1 mile from the Tomyhoi TH), drop down a few hundred feet, then contour left until you reach the drainage.  there's plenty of snow left to boot from there, but keep your eyes open for 'thin' bridges over the rushing water.  you'll climb for about 700-800 ft. before the gully expands. from there, the terrain eases off considerably and one can easily skin to the saddle that divides the east and west peaks of Goat.  the only hazard is rock fall during the initial 700-800 ft. of climbing.

there are plenty of options for skiing.  if you don't want to ski down the drainage (i.e., the 700-800 ft. section), then i would recommend traversing skier's right at ~5200 ft. and climbing to the ridge just north of the east peak of Goat.  the slopes are a bit steeper, but there's plenty of snow and from the ridge, ski down to Twin Lakes.  anyway, plenty to do up there.

-kam

This is a fairly popular playground for Bellinghamsters. In fact, we often joke about writing the definitive guidebook, 101 Favorite Ski Descents on Goat Mountain (possibly available in a matched set with 101 Favorite Ski Descents on Mt. Herman).  

I'm amazed that the gully still goes, considering it was looking fairly marginal more than 6 weeks ago.  FWIW, there is serious rock and icefall hazard at times in the gully itself, so don't dilly-dally.  It is possible to blast straight up it on skins, making one or two switchbacks at most.  

Enjoy,

mark

I ,also find it interesting the gully is still so full of snow...(check out Kam's pic on web site) We skied it as an exit last year, mid-june, and it was a little dangerous....once those bridges start to go, and rock/dirt connects wall to wall, it is loose and sketchy. A nightmare of mine is to get sucked down the gorge by the water and trapped under the next snow bridge/tunnel...Don't let this happen to you!

This is a fairly popular playground for Bellinghamsters. In fact, we often joke about writing the definitive guidebook, 101 Favorite Ski Descents on Goat Mountain

Indeed; I first saw this line while traversing a ridge near Winchester Mountain ~6 years ago, when I used to live in Bellingham.  Goat is a great snow playground readily accessible from B'ham, although I didn't have backcountry ski gear to enjoy it at the time  (the south slope made for a great glissade at least  ;D )

Reply to this TR

june-20-2004-maaaa-mountain-the-north-side
kam
2004-06-22 12:50:46