Home > Trip Reports > May 27, 2010, Longs Pass

May 27, 2010, Longs Pass

5/27/10
Posted by wolfs on 5/27/10 4:14pm
Can now drive to Esmerelda Trailhead. Trail is only snow free until the junction, but patchy snow in forest had me booting for a bit before changing to skins. My original destination had been Fortune, but I got frustrated with walking the postholey Esmerelda trail through all the stream crossings, and started uphill much too early, on wrong side of drainage that eventually goes to Ingalls Pass, and basically heading straight toward Longs following old postholes and sno mo tracks. Oh welll new destination. Thought I'd work my way over to Fortune later but eventually thought better of it as the cloud deck lowered, and just stayed at Longs.

In Longs Pass area, there was fresher snow layer on top starting at about the level of the old tailings piles. It varied from an inch or so to deeper depositations. It skied OK if there was just an inch of that new, but any more than that and it became troublesome. This layer was super self adhesive, making hissers and snowballs and generally sliding off the older more consolidated snow with ease if you initiated it with a turn. The layer beneath wasn't quite corn, but close, mostly decent consolidation but also some rotten spots that would slide just like the new stuff would.

First went up small peak lookers L of pass, but this was where that new stuff got too deep for fun. Next couple runs went on the lookers R where snow appeared dirtier. One of those rare times where the dirty snow was what you wanted.

Back side into Ingalls Creek looked similar but I did not ski it. Various wet slides had come down that other side, maybe started by cornice fails.

Was able but just barely to ski down to within 200vf of parking lot, right by the junction.

Teanaway Magic came through again - no rain and good enough visibility today, after driving through rain and fog on Snoq Pass both ways.

First photo for recon of Stuart Cascadian et al.

Second photo looking E of Longs from my first high point.

Thanks for the report, Wolf. The south side of Stuart still looks good. Any idea how the Ingalls valley bottom looked? could one ski all the way down then skin over to Stuart, or is it melted out at the bottom now?

Last Sunday we skied from Long's Pass on a descending traverse to the valley bottom and could cross the creek on a snowbridge to the bottom of Ulrich's.  There was continuous snow up into the couloirs.

author=JoshK link=topic=16778.msg70424#msg70424 date=1275080962]
Any idea how the Ingalls valley bottom looked? could one ski all the way down then skin over to Stuart, or is it melted out at the bottom now?

Didn't get a direct view, I'd say it's 50/50 on whether still snow in valley immediately below Longs. But there's definitely enough for skiing into basin and below the treeline.

Looking good. Heading out to the Enchantments tomorrow. May is the new January.

"... One of those rare times where the dirty snow was what you wanted."

Wolf - I love it when you talk dirty to me!

Reply to this TR

may-27-2010-longs-pass
wolfs
2010-05-27 23:14:48