Home > Trip Reports > May 24, The Pinnacle and Castle

May 24, The Pinnacle and Castle

5/15/10
Posted by Nicks Sticks on 5/25/10 2:24pm
Headed to the Tatoosh to take advantage of the gap between clouds.  I parked at reflection lakes at about 9:30.  The snow on the way up was pretty firm.  Someone had booted up to the ridge over the weekend and only postholed about a foot in.  The snow in the upper bowl was fantastic -- a dusting of fresh over a solid base.

I made a few laps off the castle and then headed around to the pinnacle.  I popped through the gap to find a standoff between a marmot and coyote.  This seemed like a good time to take a rest and watch nature.  Unfortunately nature has more patience than I do, and after 15 min or so I decided I would rather ski than watch some marmot meet its end.  Even in the early afternoon the snow on the north slopes was in great shape.  At about two I headed up to paradise to get one more look at the tatoosh, and see the first people of the day.  Paradise's parking lot was practically full and the slopes were mobbed.  Another perfect day with the hills all to myself.

The Tatoosh range from Paradise

Boundry and Unicorn

All by myself

Well Done. Solitude is priceless.

What, no coyote pictuer?

Nice. I like the Usain Bolt pose especially in your last photo. very cool. :D

I thought that was a John Travolta Saturday Night Fever pose.

That shot of the Tats from what must be lower Mazama Ridge Rocks! Those clouds, rocks and snow with blue splats here and there say it all...Well done! ;D

yeah, saw you up there :-)

The snow was nice from Muir Snowfield down to Edith Basin:

It looks like you found some solitude for yourself.  I think I can see myself in your photo.  I believe I am the fourth pixel up from your ski pole.

Reply to this TR

may-24-the-pinnacle-and-castle
Nicks Sticks
2010-05-25 21:24:21