Home > Trip Reports > May 24, Bullion Basin

May 24, Bullion Basin

5/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by teledavid on 5/25/10 12:47am
Beautiful day in the Crystal Mountain basin!  Skinned up the ridge just north of Bullion Basin.  Snow conditions were excellent!  There was 10 cm of new snow but the turns stayed on top of it.  I had to go light on a few turns near the bottom to keep from punching through the new stuff but mostly perfect spring like snow!  Skied right to the car, but this may be the last weekend that will be possible.

(Sorry, no pics, I can't get them to upload.  What does it mean 'there is already a file with the same name, try renaming it.'  I tried renaming the pictures but that didn't work.)
I went up to the lot later and the rain started to spit and the clouds grew deep gray, but the sun was still on the Crystal side.
I could not find a continuous line of snow (except a wafer thin thread above upper B). No snow above the Chapel or lower Gold Hills in view, without some upclimbing, got unmotivated and went in search of firewood.
Between 5-4400ft the snow is starting to really go quickly and get spotty in the exposed areas in this neck of the woods. More so on really sun exposed areas like Norse Peak.
It won't be long before some hiking (skis on back) is involved to get to East Peak.
Glad you made a good show of it.

Here are David's photos (no, I didn't go):

Reply to this TR

may-24-bullion-basin
teledavid
2010-05-25 07:47:08