Home > Trip Reports > May 23, 2010, Source Lake, GS Bowl/Pineapple Pass

May 23, 2010, Source Lake, GS Bowl/Pineapple Pass

5/23/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Alaskier on 5/24/10 8:29am
The wife is on another TAY rampage, and even though I just got back from Asia on Saturday morning, she dragged me up to the Alpental parking lot, and we skinned up toward Source lake, hoping to head up to Great Scott Bowl/Pineapple Pass.  Very wet, drizzling the whole way.

Ran into a group by Source lake who said that they tried going up higher, but felt the slope to be unstable, and were turning around. 

Never ones to be put off by common sense, we skinned onward and upward.  Got up to about 500ft above the lake, and the rain turned to snow.  Got up to the entrance to Great Scott bowl area, and would have to admit that the new snow seemed very clumpy, but it didn't seem too prone to slides.  The base underneath was rock solid, but there was about 9 inches of new on top, very wet and heavy.

Being soaking wet at this point, and seeing that my wifes ardor for turns appeared to be somewhat dampened, we turned em downhill, and enjoyed some typical Cascade powder (ie. wet concrete) turns down to the valley.

A worthy day, but it would certainly have been nice to have better weather!  Didn't take many pics, since it wasn't exactly scenic (unless you like the drowned look), but will see if I have anything good.

Reply to this TR

may-23-2010-source-lake-gs-bowl-pineapple-pass
Alaskier
2010-05-24 15:29:26