Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2004, Mt. Adams - SW Chutes

June 20, 2004, Mt. Adams - SW Chutes

6/20/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by The_Snow_Troll on 6/21/04 2:41am
Foolishing thinking that 'slight chance' of thunderstorms would actually mean 'no chance in hell' of thunderstorms.  Jen and I headed to Mt. Adams from West Seattle on Saturday.  We opted for the back way via FS Road 23.  Our time to Trout Lake was an impressive 4.5hrs from Seattle.  It was a bit daunting to see all the thunderclouds around the mtn....  

We left the jumble of cars just below Cold Springs and boot packed up to about 6500' to make a camp on the ridge to the east of Morrison Creek.  Just below and down wind from other TAY groups....lucky for them...  

After a brief thunder shower of really wet snow and a game of Monkala, the weather cleared quickly after sunset.  We got up at 4, and were out of camp at 5AM.  We opted for travel by crampon and seemed to keep a good pace going.  We made it to the false summit at 9am, 4 hours from camp.  

Soon after making a little home out of the wind we were joined by quite a few others to make the 'stadium seating' (in the words of Ned Flanders) complete.  After a couple of hours of talking about a boy named Kam we were off to ski the Chutes.

Jen and I left at 11:30, a few minutes after Neds group.  The first 10 or so turns were a bit firm, but then it turned quite nice!  At the obvious end of the run we began our left trending traverse back to the south spur route.  At about 7000' we put on skins and went over a couple ridges and up to about 7300' to end up just above the lower part of the Crescent Glacier.  

We skied down to our bivi gear, loaded up and went out to the car for the drive back.  

--The Snow Troll
you talked for 2 hours about a young boy????  sick.

Troll and Jen,

It was nice meeting you both and thanks for the use of your shovel, although I don't recall if I ever used it or not.  

And there is nothing like "stadium seating" to take in the zoo like atmosphere of the south route, especially when you're a wise ass in the back row.

Joshua

Kam, you were the only thing that Ned and I had in common...well almost...  

Anyway...to unmask myself...you may know me better as one of the 'Pajama Boys' from Sorcerer Lake Lodge...

;)

Reply to this TR

june-20-2004-mt-adams-sw-chutes-2
The_Snow_Troll
2004-06-21 09:41:22