telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
09/22/17, 01:16 AM

Snohomish County
Volunteer Search & Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  May 23, 2010 Paradise
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 23, 2010 Paradise  (Read 1991 times)
jenprince
5Member

May 23, 2010 Paradise
« on: 05/23/10, 05:10 PM »

Typical stormy day at Paradise, skiing in a whiteout.  Had been thinking about skiing  Helens most of the week, then Interglacier when I couldn't secure a permit.  Paradise seemed like a good choice to score a few powder turns, when I realized the White River CG road wasn't opening.  Paradise is like an old friend, always there when you need someone who understands you. 

3 inches of fresh this morning on top of soft crust, from rain yesterday perhaps? We (Nick and I) skied into Edith before PanPoint, it didn't seem like a great idea to keep trudging through the fog and whiteout.  Another skier descended on our second lap and confirmed this for us.   At about 11, the 3 inches became quite unstable and easy to slough on steeper slopes, and the snow turned into rain/snow stuff.  We opted for the lodge by noon, such a nice place:)  Overall, good skiing by brail.

Most skiers we talked to decided the trees were helpful for navigation and stayed within treeline, and I thought the large groups of RMI tourists and the huge hole in Edith basin were also helpful:)  Apparently the road is plowed out of the basin.  We realized we were lucky when we discovered this after we opted to RTO straight up to Alta Vista because skiing in the basin was difficult with the poor visibility.  Some folks skiing out of the basin at 1 pm mentioned the snow was terrible by then and the visibility worse, and I was glad we had left Tacoma by 6 am.

No pictures, you wouldn't be able to see anything but White anyhow... But I am guessing some of you TAY-aholics would appreciate the good word.  Home and a trip report written by 5:)  Sun emerging to the west as I type. Yay!
« Last Edit: 05/24/10, 08:42 PM by jenprince » Logged
Andrew Carey

Re: May 23, 2010 Paradise
« Reply #1 on: 05/23/10, 06:47 PM »

Thank-you for the report; alleviates me kicking myself in the butt for using bad weather (fog) as an excuse for not skiing; now I'm glad I stayed home; looks like it will be nice tomorrow and I'll go if it is. :-)

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
velillen

« Reply #2 on: 05/23/10, 07:05 PM »

Nice skiing with you Jen! It was fun playing the where are we going game all week Smiley

The fog did suck. Thankfully the RMI guys had an easy to follow boot pack and the groups of 10 of them made spotting the trail easy. Also glad i could be the test dummy and find the edge of the drop offs and figure out when the hill suddenly changes from going up downhill to up hill for you! And sorry for the crappy skin track up from Edith!

and about hurricane ridge....might have been the best choice! even though we both thought otherwise!
Robie

« Reply #3 on: 05/23/10, 07:15 PM »

Jenn ,thanks for the report. I too sat home (being on call ) and wondering if I was missing some great skiing. Was the Tatoosh whited out as well?
I ended up getting called out made a few bucks then immediately bought some gear at backpackers to erase the pain.

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
Apparant Moderator of what sucks
iluka

« Reply #4 on: 05/23/10, 08:05 PM »

Equal visibility-less conditions up at Baker today. Our plans to ski out to Coleman Pinnacle ended in the whiteout up at Artist's Point. Cleared up nicely by the time we finally got back to the car at 2PM after yo-yoing some slopes near the ski area in mushy snow.

Yet another trip I've skied up something I can't ski down!
jenprince
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 05/24/10, 04:38 PM »

Tatoosh looked pretty white, actually we couldn't see the tatoosh from most angles, so yes Robie, it was white.  Hey, want to join us on Baker this weekend? Or anyone else for that matter?
Andrew Carey

« Reply #6 on: 05/24/10, 05:18 PM »

Paradise-Muir was pretty sweet today!

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.