Home > Trip Reports > May 21, Chinook Pass, Naches Peak circumnavigation

May 21, Chinook Pass, Naches Peak circumnavigation

5/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by KrimmelMoore on 5/21/10 12:00pm
Arrived at Cayuse pass about 9:00, 31F and snowing. Only about 3" of new at the  pass and not sticking to the road. We were hoping for something closer to the 7" down around Paradise. Rainier shadowed this area but as a consolation the weather and vis were great. Climbed up toward Tipsoo Lake where they now have one cut all the way through to Chinook Pass but today the mostly worked below the lake.

Arrived at the south summit about 11am to filtered sun and excellent vis but Rainier was socked in all day. Only 1" over a very solid but edgeable crust made for groomer-like fast turns down the south face. Next we climbed up to the south summit again and dropped into the NE bowl. About 3" here over a less solid but still skiable crust.

Traversed around the north side to toward Chinook Pass. This was the worst snow, 2" over isothermic proto-corn and no crust. I wouldn't want to ski it. But once around to the glades on the west side conditions improved with a very stable crust with about 2" new on top. We climbed to the top of the glade and skied out some fun turns as it started to snow.

Snowing hard when we arrived back at Cayuse.
The south side and west glades should ski well this weekend.

Sorry no photos - forgot my camera and my partner's helmet cam's batteries died.

Reply to this TR

may-21-chinook-pass-naches-peak-circumnavigation
KrimmelMoore
2010-05-21 19:00:05