Home > Trip Reports > May 20, 2010, Tatoosh 7 New Snow

May 20, 2010, Tatoosh 7 New Snow

5/20/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jhamaker on 5/20/10 1:32pm
Yes folks, the telemetry is correct.  Seven inches of new around Paradise. 
The trees around the Tatoosh looked like they were holding more snow indicating less wind.  Oh, and as Robie mentioned, the road is plowed past Louise Lk.

Snow was very skiable and surprisingly consistent on both sides of the Tatoosh all the way down to 5000'.

I'm almost embarrassed to give such a vague snow-pit report, but, since the NWAC is closed, here goes:
Dug to snow pits on the Castle/Foss ridge at 6000'.  One on the N and one on the S side of the ridge.  Both pits showed similar results.  Last night's and today's snow is fairly well bonded to the melt/freeze crust of earlier this and last week, but will slide on that layer if strongly encouraged.  I'm not going to give the number of taps on the column test, because I did not record it.  The crust is about an inch thick.  This is what we skied on.  Never broke through.  The crust is sitting on the early May snow, which appears and feels like refreezing isothermal.  This in turn is sitting on the winter snow-pack which is not as cohesive as I would like.  Sorry, next time I'll poke at it a bit and maybe even write the results down.

Have fun, be safe, and STOP THINKING *SNOW*!  I've been looking forward to Corn snow all frickin "spring"!
Hey Jimbo, thanks for the report and way to get after it on Baker!!

Reply to this TR

may-20-2010-tatoosh-7-new-snow
jhamaker
2010-05-20 20:32:10