Home > Trip Reports > May 15, 2010, Cutthroat Peak Rainy Pass

May 15, 2010, Cutthroat Peak Rainy Pass

5/15/10
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Lisa on 5/19/10 3:25am
After skiing up toward Kyes Peak on May 8th and experiencing much instability we headed east this past weekend in hopes for possibly better stability having had less new snowfall east of the crest.  TR can be viewed at: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/957092/TR_Blanca_Lake_Columbia_Glacie#

Saturday Kurt and I headed up the southwest flank of Cutthroat Peak between Whistler Mtn. and Cutthroat Peak.  Through the forest we encountered frozen snow and wished we had ski crampons although the conditions were short lived until we gained the upper slopes in the sun where the snow was penetrable ~8 inches making for sloppy conditions. 
Whistler had a lot of point releases on its€™ west flanks though no signs of such around us as we climbed toward Cutthroat Peak.  Near the top we noticed a lone skiers€™ track and then boot tracks that led to the summit.

While traversing toward the base of the summit we began to hear a loud whoomping beneath us.  This was quite unnerving and we quickly spread apart.  Again we heard the whoomping but no sign of cracks or settling.  After a third time of the same disheartening sound my heart began to race and I felt completely vulnerable to the lurking danger beneath.  The snow pack had spoken and the message was clear.
In a distance of roughly a few hundred feet I reached a safe place under a large rock outcropping just beneath the summit where I waited and watched as Kurt neared.

At this point we dug a couple shovel sheer tests and in a slight tug the blocks broke 2 feet down to the crust layer beneath. We quickly decided the summit was not a safe venture and quickly removed our skins and donned skis. 
I made a quick ski cut of the slope and off to a safe spot as I waited while Kurt did the same.  Nothing moved while we precariously skied down into the heavy spring snow. 
As we looked up off to our right we could see two large crowns that looked to have been spontaneously released in recent days.
Back to the trailhead the tree skiing felt like skiing pine and fir laden ice cubes while dodging trees. 
Finished the day with wine tasting in Winthrop and dinner at the Duck and Drake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjzuS3WLE-o
We were across the highway and paid attention to what was going on around us - set off on purpose a couple of sluffs - but overall a wonderful weekend.

Reply to this TR

may-15-2010-cutthroat-peak-rainy-pass
Lisa
2010-05-19 10:25:06