Home > Trip Reports > May16, 2010, Coleman-Heliotrope

May16, 2010, Coleman-Heliotrope

5/16/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Alan Brunelle on 5/17/10 12:29am
Better than expected, considering the weather statement at 4:30AM when I arose.  The high clouds trended to dissipation through mid day and the showers waited till just after we got back to the car.  More importantly, the snow conditions for us skiers was just firm enough to support the skinning up and the runs down.  Much less sloppy than expected from the forecast.  My guess is that the previous warm sunny days along with the clear nights may have helped.

I took my son and two additional boys up to point 7242 on the Coleman. I had my son up here in July a couple of years ago, but we were not able to make it to the scenic ridgeline because the trail was so messed up.  Now at 13, he is still stronger and the nice trail conditions no tree of death creek crossing and we were golden with the improving weather. Some climbers descending said that there were lots of skiers up there, but we didn't see any.    Lots of climbers who wish they had skis and a decent number of tracks descending from the top of Heliotrope probably down into Grouse Creek drainage.

I opted not to do the Grouse Creek descent today.  I am unfamiliar with it, and being steeper than the other slopes and to what appears to me to be more of a natural avalanche trap I decided to defer to the forecasters at the Avalanche Center this time.  But I tell you that after the hike out and looking right up that drainage from the parking lot, I sure would like to just ski down to the car one of these times.

Once we adapted our style to the snow the skiing turned out to be very good.  Most painful on the few flat areas where the legs burned.  The proto-corn is getting more corn-like.  The added treat was pretty fun skiing in the trees that covered about the first third of the hike down the trail.

Not such a nice day for many of the climbers (except the few who were smart enough to bring snow shoes).  Lots of postholing since the soft deep rotten snowpack did not offer much in the way of support for boot travel.  Heard some complaints from some of the hoards of climbers.  I would have thought given the forecast for rotten snow, there would have been less attraction for the climb this weekend.  But then we too decided to go...

Also, maybe not such a great day for the climber whose tent blew down the glacier from camp.  I hope that they were able to locate it and retrieve it.  Some years ago I seem to remember the camp location seemed to be located rather more close to the rock wall along the Black Butte ridgeline.  People this weekend located camp well out in the open, more exposed to the wind.  It was not particularly windy though at times it was a welcome relief from the heat.

I may post some photos if I get the chance.

Alan
Modified to add photos.

Reply to this TR

may16-2010-coleman-heliotrope
Alan Brunelle
2010-05-17 07:29:48