Home > Trip Reports > May 16, 2010, Sunrise Ridge

May 16, 2010, Sunrise Ridge

5/16/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by telemack on 5/16/10 10:22am
     Today was field-trip day for a crevasse course and my best snow boots are my 4-buckle tele boots, so I decided to tote the skis too.  There has been a lot of snow lost in the past week; a plowed bank at the visitors center had over 10 feet last Saturday and today it was half that.
     After a couple hours of thrashing about on the edge of a cornice in the rain, the others went back to the cars.  I hiked the ridge to the rocky point behind the rope tow as the sun came out a bit.  Skied the left gully just below the top, steep enough for some deep sluffs that ran a little, and got a micro-run of really fun slide remnants. 
     Freezing level was 8000' today.  Snow is going on the S exposures.  Still LOTS left on the sheltered slopes.    :)
Sorry we missed you guys today. After checking the overnight temps and looking out the window to the west to see dark clouds on the horizon we decided our weapon of choice for the day was mountain bikes instead of skis. We headed west on the Adventure Trail for face shots of muddy water.  :D

Glad to hear you were able to squeeze in a short tour, sounds like "cut it and let it run" technique worked well.

Hopefully our tracks will cross before all the white turns brown.

Gary and Jan

author=GaryJan link=topic=16682.msg69879#msg69879 date=1274071128]
Hopefully our tracks will cross before all the white turns brown.
Gary and Jan

That would be great.  Looks like there is tons of snow on Obs. Point Road for a while.  Any idea when that will be drivable?
What about 7 Lakes-HIgh Divide access?

Reply to this TR

may-16-2010-sunrise-ridge
telemack
2010-05-16 17:22:57