Home > Trip Reports > May 14, 2010, S. Fork Bishop Creek, Eastern Sierra

May 14, 2010, S. Fork Bishop Creek, Eastern Sierra

5/14/10
US elsewhere
Posted by prestonf on 5/15/10 12:00pm
The limited terrain  ;) above South Lake is still riding really well.  It snowed and blowed a bit a few days prior, so dense spring powder up high, corn down low. 

The road still isn't plowed all the way to the lake, but it's not very far in.  It's easy to get in and out of the main basin if you brave the drainage with the running water at the bottom; once up a little ways, it mellows out.

I lugged a video camera up (http://vimeo.com/11773715) and rode from a high point on the ridge in the upper right corner of this picture:

Awesome snow and bright sun!  It's hard to keep from getting a little cooked...

author=prestonf link=topic=16670.msg69827#msg69827 date=1273978836]

The road still isn't plowed all the way to the lake, but it's not very far in.  It's easy to get in and out of the main basin if you brave the drainage with the running water at the bottom; once up a little ways, it mellows out.

Jill hates that drainage and the running water adds an interesting water feature.  But the options available in the basin are enormous. 

author=Zap link=topic=16670.msg69831#msg69831 date=1273985213]
Jill hates that drainage and the running water adds an interesting water feature.  But the options available in the basin are enormous. 

I really don't like the traverse above the lake.  In the early morning, on the hard snow, I have to admit that the boot crampons and ice axe came out and I walked around! 

Nice work Preston!  Way to get some in Cal-i-forn-I A!

author=prestonf link=topic=16670.msg69890#msg69890 date=1274110442]
I really don't like the traverse above the lake.  In the early morning, on the hard snow, I have to admit that the boot crampons and ice axe came out and I walked around! 

O yeah, the frozen ice sheets at a 45 degrees angle along the edge of the reservoir.  I usually wear ski crampons but I remember a friend who snapped his ski crampons due to the side angle of the traverse. There is some interesting terrain accessed directly above the parking area if you return.  Way too many choices.   ;)

Reply to this TR

may-14-2010-s-fork-bishop-creek-eastern-sierra
prestonf
2010-05-15 19:00:36