Home > Trip Reports > Muir May 15 -the boy gets dynafitted

Muir May 15 -the boy gets dynafitted

5/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Mofro on 5/15/10 10:40am
With the forecast calling for high avalanche potential, I decided to take my 11yr/old son on his first trip up to Muir today.Iit was also his maiden voyage on his "new" touring set up, his last years Mantra Jr mounted with dynafits, found just lying around my fathers house (yeah kids these days are spoiled, it was years! before i got dynawhompers). The set up is significantly lighter than his Gotama Jr's with Explores and he took to them like a charm- we started out from Paradise at 8:15 and reached Muir just after 12. Sunshine, moderate temps in the 40's, and no wind.

Great day to be out on the mountain, along with just a "few" other people. After hanging around and refueling for a bit, we headed down @1pm and were treated to great skiing conditions, well consolidated snow with a few inches of soft on the top. Fast and smooth, if low angle.

Good corn from 8-6K, really only got sloppy on the last descent to Paradise.

20 minutes later we were back at Paradise enjoying rootbeer.

Cheers,
Mofro.

8)
Nice. I bet he was stoked.

Sweet. Never too young to get 'em started; I know jonathan_s has had his daughter in Dynafit logo softgoods virtually since birth! Looks like little "i" is already showing the trademark smooth family style!

author=gregL link=topic=16668.msg69851#msg69851 date=1274041827]
Looks like little "i" is already showing the trademark smooth family style!

He really ripped it up nicely, killing it on the up and the down- yeah I'm a proud papa.

"old" set up next to "new" set up. The mini-gots /fritschis weigh as much as my lotus 120/ft12's.

I've been out touring with him 5x since the lifts closed and he said this was the first time he felt really dialed in skiing down.

Nice Greg! 4 hrs to Muir for an 11 year old... thats pretty good. I went to Crystal with the dog instead... I hope you got my message. Chugach needed a ski tour!

Greg - cool seeing you and your son at Alpy a couple weeks ago.  Glad to see a father getting out with his protege!

Dave

Reply to this TR

muir-may-15-the-boy-gets-dynafitted
Mofro
2010-05-15 17:40:50