Home > Trip Reports > May 8, 2010, Vesper

May 8, 2010, Vesper

5/8/10
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Monika on 5/14/10 2:28pm
This is bit late, but I know for some it's still nice to hear of conditions.
Last Saturday did Vesper.  I hadn't been in there before on snow and wanted a shorter drive but while carrying my skis I asked myself, "so why am I hiking when I can be skiing from the car???" 
Snow began at 3050.  Started skinning at 3150 as soon as the trail met the drainage below Headley pass. That drainage had slid but on Vesper just surface point releases.  Climbed and skied climber's right to stay on the most supportive snow, about 3-4" ski penetration.  The hike in was redeemed by the beautiful ski down Vesper.  Returning through Headley pass (actually the line just climber's R of Headley) ran into Shred and his friend heading up. 

pics are Headley Pass, Vesper, summit looking across toward Sperry.
Anyone skied off the northish side of Vesper? 
author=Monika link=topic=16663.msg69813#msg69813 date=1273901288]
...but while carrying my skis I asked myself, "so why am I hiking when I can be skiing from the car???" 

I've done that before. Carried my skis once for 3 days... last 2 in torrential rains; all the while asking myself the same question. Made me feel like I just didn't have good sense.
The hikers made it even worse by asking "so how was the skiing?"  ::)
Luckily, I haven't done it since ;)

Nice TR Monika.

We went up on Sunday 5/16 and had a good time despite the late start.  We saw a couple of slides coming off the E ridge (near those three chutes).  When they hit the slope below, they did not trigger any slides.  The coulouir had small point releases but again, nothing slid.  This was well worth the slog. Even crossing the river was fun (look for the pink flagging)!

"Anyone skied off the northish side of Vesper?  looks like fun"

I've looked at the skinny snow/glacier down to Copper lake, which looks a bit like one on Mt Pugh.  I guess this might be a good season for it because of the late snow, maybe next weekend...

You probably mean the super-steep rock wall immediately North of the summit!  Monika, be very careful on that one ;)

Reply to this TR

may-8-2010-vesper
Monika
2010-05-14 21:28:08