Home > Trip Reports > May 14, 2010, Heliotrope/Grouse Corn Harvest

May 14, 2010, Heliotrope/Grouse Corn Harvest

5/14/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by skier8484 on 5/14/10 7:07am
Wanting to sleep in this morning, a quick trip up Heliotrope seemed like an ideal trip for a warm Friday.  Drove within 1/8 mile of the trail head, and was skinning within 0.5 miles of the trail head.  I choose to go up via the trail as opposed to Grouse Creek to stay in the shade as long as possible.  This proved to be a good call, as skinning up the trail in the forest was very pleasant. 

Once above treeline, it became clear the sun was going to have it's way with the snow.  I hurried to the 7,100' Heliotrope summit hoping to harvest corn in lieu of mush. 

The views were expectedly good, and the snow was nicely ripened corn.  Great skiing all the way down to the bottom of the Grouse drainage.  An easy creek crossing and quick stroll through the forest had me back to my car by 11:45.  I'd definitely recommend this trip over the next couple of days given the great road access, and lack of hiking to snow involved.

Great to get out and finally get some corn! 

Nice I'm glad it has finally turned into corn up there. At least for part of the day.

Nice. Did you get a sense of how thick the crust was before getting down into lower density snow?

author=Jim Oker link=topic=16659.msg69796#msg69796 date=1273884383]
Nice. Did you get a sense of how thick the crust was before getting down into lower density snow?

I'd guess only an inch or two.  A deep freeze would definitely go a long way right about now.  You definitely want to get up there early if you go; especially if you plan on riding southern aspects.

Reply to this TR

may-14-2010-heliotrope-grouse-corn-harvest
skier8484
2010-05-14 14:07:05