Home > Trip Reports > June 17-18, 2004, Mt Adams N side

June 17-18, 2004, Mt Adams N side

6/17/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by alpentalcorey on 6/19/04 3:49am
I had the good fortune of choosing between a couple of cool trip ideas, in the end I headed back to the N side of Adams with a couple of Canadians, Mike & Andy Traslin, that I had met doing the randonee races.  Mike & Andy were going to meet us 2 weeks ago when we were here last, but car troubles delayed them and they tried to salvage their trip on the South side but they were a day late and got stopped by the weather that came in.  It was really cool to ski with them and hear stories about the places they go up in BC, I'm definately going to have to check out some of their stashes sometime.

We drove in very late Wednesday night and camped at Killen Creek TH.  The parking lot was almost full as there was some kind of glacier training/climbing class going on.  I doubted that we would have time to summit on Thursday because we showed up so late (and thus needed to sleep late) but I knew we would be able to ski something.  We left the TH a bit before 9 and made it to our high camp at "the beach" around noon where we rested a bit and ate lunch.  A little late to go to the top, so I proposed that we ski the nice snowfield on the NW side of the N ridge that goes up to 10,300'.  I don't know if it has an official name but on the last trip Amar referred to it as "South America Glacier", and it makes some sense as it is shaped a lot like South America.  We skinned and then booted directly up the snow and enjoyed nice corn (maybe just a little past prime but still very nice) at around 3:30.  It was a much better run and better pitched than I thought, definately a worthy destination in its own right and a great option for people who want to enjoy the amazing location and scenery of the N side without commiting to one of the various N side steeps or glaciers.  2850' of descent right back to high camp with 2400' of it very nicely pitched for skiing was a nice afternoon treat indeed.  After a nice afternoon of eating and resting at camp we settled in early for a nice long night of sleep.

In the morning we woke up and climbed the N ridge.  While Andy & Mike went over to the summit I stopped on the Summit plateau to field-test my blue bag.  I didn't bother going all the way to the true summit.  We skied over to West Peak and stepped up on skis to the top.  We started down NFNWR and the conditions were less than ideal.  By that I mean semi-nasty icy satrstugi.  You could make a turn in it, but it wasn't what I call enjoyable.  We picked our way down a little ways staying more over by the NW ridge, as that way looked good from camp, but we got a little bit cliffed out and started looking at our options on the other side of the ridge.  After getting a good look later it seems we could have gone skiers right from there and then cut back to the left but the snow on that aspect was really crappy, super steep, and exposed.  I saw a possibility on the other side of the ridge so I sideslipped down a bit that way to get a better look.  From there it seemed like there was a way to downclimb a finger of snow through a smallish rockband to a snowfield below that would connect.  I got out my axe and stomped a platform to change over to crampons and told the other guys to do the same up on the ridge and climb down to me.  I got down to the rockband saw that it wasn't too tall, maybe 5-8 feet or so.  The snow on this aspect was softer and for a moment I thought  "I could just throw my pack down and jump, it's not too far".  I was telling Andy I might throw my pack down, but I'm glad I didn't because a minute later he accidentally dropped his when he was downclimbing a short section without it. When he reached  to lower it he grabbed it by the skis and the pack slipped out some how and went sailing down the slope with his poles still on it.  It just kept going, it slowed down to where it looked like it would stop, but then would roll over agin.  Doh!  Ok, no tossing of my pack I thought and finished the downclimb down to the snow.  There was a little snow overhang, but I was able to kick through it with my crampons and then get down without too much trouble.  Mike thought he could see Andy's pack way way down there, and luckily he did have his skis (there was a moment where Mike & I thought his skis were rolling down the snowfield as well).  Andy got down and clicked in first and started making turns down towards his pack with no poles.  I could see then that we were going to be rewarded for that downclimb as his turns were looking sweet, a half-inch of corn on a smooth base with no sloughage.  Originally when I first spied the line I thought we might have to stay higher on the ridge, but Andy's pack led us down the sweet corn slope to the entrance of an eminately skiable chute so we just cruised right down it.  At the bottom I just could not believe our fortune of going from the steep icy satsrugi to a 3500' continuous corn run!  Of course we had a ways to traverse to get back to camp, but the views coming around the NW ridge were amazing, totally cool to get a different angle on all that awesome terrain.  Skiing back to the car from camp there was a minute where it looked like we might suffer the same fate (bushwacking) that our party did 2 weeks ago but I pulled out the GPS and had thankfully marked the car, so we soon regained the trail and made it back around 8pm. The N side of Adams rules!  
Right on! You missed out on some classic schwackage though.  ;D My arms look like the contour lines on a map.

That's awesome, you taking new people to great area. You'll have to get back to finish the NFNWR next week or next year. Snow conditions weren't just bad at mount adams. We had our share also...

South America? or Big Tuna?...I prefer Big Tuna, but its all good!

What time of day were you coming down NFNWR?  Is it possible you started down too early?  I remember the upper part being "kinda firm" but that it got much more enjoyable the further we skied down it.  I think we started down it around 1 or 2pm, but that was when temperatures were near 100 in Seattle last year...

Glad you found the TH a little more easily than we did 2 weeks ago! ;)

NFNWR was really nice today.  ;D  Icy sastrugi until it got steep, then it was probably six inches of nice corn. There's more to the story, including a first snowboard descent, and 400 foot ragdoll from the rockband to ten feet above the bottom cliff, but I'll have to write that up tomorrow.

BTW, Jim said he thought he saw Amar on the summit today. Amar?

BTW BTW, the bivy at the last trees on the N side is the most beautiful bivy I've ever experienced.  ;D ;D

Oh, yeah, I think we started skiing at around 2:30 or 3...doing nothing for the past three weeks made me a slow fat mofo on the way up.

Hey Paul out of curiosity did you guys see our tracks?  I'm not really sure what to call the run (SFNWR?) but it was really sweet.

The snow was only bad on the NFNWR, after we dropped to the other side it was amazingly good.  We were probably on it (NFNWR) around 1:30pm or so but because of downclimbing and all that we skied the other line a bit later.

The Amar sighting is probably true, he was supposed to be on Adams (White-Salmon/Avalanche Glacier) that day.  I considered joining him but decided on Baker so I could visit my Dad on Father's day.

We saw a bootpack and some turns up your Tuna/S America thing. Must have been yours. Jim and Jeremy tried to get up there, but nearly got fried by lightning when they reached the base of the tuna. Meanwhile, I was enjoying the rain in my tent.  :)

Here's a photo.

I like that side of that mountain.

400 foot rag doll. I resemble that remark. >:(

That must've been a crazy fall! How did you like the line?

Hey Paul, sounds like you've been working on that steep skiing. What were you thinking bringing a snowboarder though? You should know better  ;D . Kidding aside, I'm glad everyone is fine. I couldn't imagine falling there (rock band in the center, right?) How did you pull it together?

Jim fell?!  I just assumed it was Paul! ;)  I thought I told you, no more 720's on steeps! lol.  re: Jason--skiers good at keeping their edges, snowboarders good at pulling their S%*t back together...

Oh yeah, thanks for bagging a big line on the only days I don't have off... >:(  Dangit now I gotta go solo that crap, like usual...

Jason: it's a sweet line. The most obvious line on the mountain, IMHO. Really nice.

Justin: do me a favor and don't.

Justin: do me a favor and don't.

haha.  Wasn't planning on it, or I would have already...

No, I plan to work on some of the less exposed steeps, until I feel I actually belong on such a line.

Ice axe in hand and a good bit of luck. Every time I thought I had control my board would flip me around again. After I finally got straitened out it still took a good 100 feet to come to a stop. Note to self practice those steep lines. Minus the electric shock therapy and the fall I would have to say it was a perfect weekend. Lets do it again.

That does look like a good bivy spot, but I think I still would like camping at "the beach" better because it's higher up and there's water at the lake.

Wow, glad you're ok Jim, that sounds crazy to fall there.  Probably a good idea that you descended with axe in hand.  

Sounds good Jimjar. Way to self arrest! I don't want to see people getting in trouble on that stuff, especially since we popularized the north side. Can't wait to see the pics... ;D

Sorry, didn't take any pics, I was too busy first trying to keep my out of shape ass going as fast as the others, then too busy trying to ski. I've got a bunch of nice photos from camp, though.

Oh well now that I read your TR on your website Paul, it looks like if you were gonna fall anywhere on the NFNWR, you'd want it to be where Jim fell.  A strange twist of luck?  Or was Jim just having too much fun? ;)  I'm gonna lean toward the latter as you seem to have made it halfway down the thing without losing it.

Neat TR on your site Paul, thanks! And I'm glad no one was hurt.

BTW, Jim said he thought he saw Amar on the summit today.

Not only did Jim see Amar and, I believe, Cyril? (apologies in advance if I'm confusing names) on the summit, he also saw me, jshefftz and Ben Shefftz (aka Walter Sobchak). I introduced myself to Amar after I recognized his red gaiters and red denalis. He told me they planed to ski the Avalanche glacier. Our party skied the Southwest Chutes and later spoted Amar and Cyril on a snowfield below the chutes. It was really neat to meet Amar and Cyril.

Wow, lots of people up there. Too bad I was feeling miserable enough to skip the summit proper. Ah, well, that doesn't weigh on my mind much.  ;)

Glad you liked the TR, Jeff.

I decided to revive this old thread because I found a photo by Charles in the Snow Images section that if i'm not mistaken shows the route we skied that day.  

http://www.turns-all-year.com/gmtanorth/image/061xyz.jpg

The photo shows Andy making turns in nice looking snow on what looks like the pinnacle glacier.  We came down the face in the top of the image and through the chute between the rocks.   From the Beckey it looks like it is the pinnacle glacier headwall, first skied in 1995 by Matt Perkins.  It's a great run and I'd for sure do it again.

Reply to this TR

june-17-18-2004-mt-adams-n-side
alpentalcorey
2004-06-19 10:49:23