Home > Trip Reports > Storms and Sun on the Sulphide - 5.8.10 - NCNP

Storms and Sun on the Sulphide - 5.8.10 - NCNP

5/15/10
Posted by Stugie on 5/10/10 9:36am
Brad (Moscawulff) and myself were making some plans for the weekend, hoping that things might come together for a back-to-back endeavor of Shuksan and Baker.  Meeting up with Kyle (Kyle Miller) and Scott (Alecapone) at Baker Lake on Friday night, we all got some sleep so as to try for an early start the following morning.

Minus a small bit of bootpacking, we were able to skin almost continuously from the trailhead at Shannon Creek.  As we continued up, the sun came out and the day was quickly going from great to perfect.

Brad skins towards the southern flanks of Shuksan.

We continued up and began taking notice of the beautiful cloud formations that were popping up all over.

Mt. Baker

Jagged Ridge

However, soon the clouds became a bit more concerning, and as Brad and I played catch-up to Kyle and Scott, we quickly noticed that we could no longer see the summit pyramid.  The Sulphide Glacier was turning into the Land of No Definition.

Brad ascending into the gray abyss€¦

As we hunkered down, the blizzard like conditions made the previously sunny skies seem like a distant memory.  Whiteout so close to the summit, we could only think of concern for our friends who were above us trapped in the same conditions.  Finally, after what seemed like a never ending internal dialogue, we opted to descend.  We dropped a lot of vert until we finally reached an area which was better protected and had better visibility.  Then we spotted Scott and soon after Kyle descending towards us as well.  They were even closer (directly under the summit) and were thwarted.  It was a tough blow to take€¦especially after the sunburn we were all enduring.

Kyle stands in disbelief on the Sulphide as the summit pyramid begins to taunt us yet again€¦

Scott is a bada**

Exhausted, we also were dealing with some of the worst snow conditions any of us had seen almost all year.  Where the clouds moved in, heavy breakable crust was the prevailing condition until we dropped into the sun once again where things became thicker than Irish mashed potatoes.  Significant warming was triggering slides from many rock faces and we saw evidence of some good size point releases as well.

However, determined to end the trip on a good note, Brad and I hiked through Shadow of the Sentinels on the way out and had a bite at the wonderful Birdseye Brewery in Concrete (which we recommend highly!)  We saw the elk herd on the way out and reflected on a great day €“ despite missing the summit pyramid.  Here€™s a few last pics€¦

Nature€™s grayscale

Black Banana Slug

Brad hops over Shukan€™s summit€¦;)

author=Stugie link=topic=16632.msg69628#msg69628 date=1273538201]
Exhausted, we also were dealing with some of the worst snow conditions any of us had seen almost all year. 

Not even close. There are some benefits to having a snowboard in the backcountry.  ;)

Touché Kyle Miller, touché.  I should have said we (being Brad and myself), the two plankers.

You might convince me yet to get a board. ;)

Reply to this TR

storms-and-sun-on-the-sulphide-5-8-10-ncnp
Stugie
2010-05-10 16:36:41