Home > Trip Reports > May 9, 2010, Alpental (closed): in memory

May 9, 2010, Alpental (closed): in memory

5/9/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by sheispiste on 5/9/10 3:05pm
I've been wanting to return to Mt. St. Helens for the Mother's Day ski for the last two years in memory of my mom. Given a friend's wedding Saturday night, again, Helens was not an option for this year. But I packed my dress and memories of my mother regardless.

I met up with Chris Cass for a lunch patrol, so to speak. Just a mid day jaunt up to Alpental. We we returned to the car I cranked the music in the late day sun; Bruce Springsteen's "I'm going down" was playing on my tape (yes, I still have a tape player!). I instantly started replacing the lyrics with "we're skiing down, down, down, down".

While Chris and I have often jotted down a TR on the car ride home, we've never parodied a song before. My mother was a real talent for writing parody songs. Chris's mom was a creative and clever singer too. Apparently, we must have been channeling our mothers. In their memories, I sing you our trip report.

We're skiing down

(sung to Bruce Springsteen's I'm going down)

Very nice.  We finished our fast lap at about lunch and headed back to town.  It so warm up there!  Gotta get some 60deg wax for my sticks

Great spring conditions there on mother's day. I did the turnaround at about 4:00 pm and the corn was pretty nice.

sheispiste, Were you the girl I talked to from Connecticut? Thanks for grabbing my hat for me when it blew off on the descent if that was you...

author=sheispiste link=topic=16627.msg69593#msg69593 date=1273471545]
thanks mom. miss you!

Nice tribute, and thanks for the reflection ~ my mom's long gone, but she's still here and still rocks..   :)

Reply to this TR

may-9-2010-alpental-closed-in-memory
sheispiste
2010-05-09 22:05:45