Home > Trip Reports > May 8, 2010, MT rainer Muir snowfield

May 8, 2010, MT rainer Muir snowfield

5/8/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 5/8/10 1:15pm
Take my word for  it was great.  Ran into Amar and friends on their way to little Tahoma. "Amar had skied Friday and said the snowfield was excellent top to bottom"
Bright sun , very little wind and a smooth snowfield. We topped out 400 short of Camp Muir. MY pref is always to ski the from top of Anvil Rock. Easy skinning on a hard crust  Up that high I don't think the snow had froze a cap on it yet so it skied excellent with about 3" of ski pen. By the  Bottom of anvil the soft crust had thawed and was still good. From the top of McClure we dropped down toward Golden gate and then into Edith basin still good turning despite the sun effects. No pinwheels. Definitely corning up fast and Sunday should be another good day. 
Along the way we picked up another skier. Felix was on Alpine gear so we showed him how to exit Edith Basin without shuffling or ,herringboning or hiking. Keep a eye out for him because it appears he has caught the back country disease.
Stevens Canyon road is plowed beyond Snow lake trail head and when we left the road closed signs were off to the side. ?????  Phoning in later  the road message still says closed???
Skiers to Park headquarters " Let us in! "

Nisqually chute in fine shape with many entrances. Not skiable to the bridge with out a lot of base damage. Tatoosh looked really good with plenty coverage.
Hey. Robie & Dave thanks for dragging me along for another great day that beat the weather forecast by a mile. Next time we'll have to bring a rope so you two can pull me up the last 500 feet.

It was only after I got home that I remembered something that could maybe give a little insight into the couple that seemed to be interested in extracurricular activities other than skiing. Duh...the 8th of May! http://www.yelp.com/events/chicago-national-outdoor-intercourse-day

Well I wouldn't say they were going that far. But they sure were delightfully enjoying each other in a grand spot. Perhaps we are missing something on our tours? ;)

Reply to this TR

may-8-2010-mt-rainer-muir-snowfield
Robie
2010-05-08 20:15:25