Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2004, McClure Rock-Backside

June 17, 2004, McClure Rock-Backside

6/17/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zap on 6/18/04 1:00am
After 2 incredible days of corn snow, I was hoping the conditions would hold up one more day. WRONG. The heat wave arrived and even though the evening was clear, the temperatures were warm.  I traveled from the Paradise Inn towards Golden Gate and the snow was soft even as I began climbing the steep slope towards the plateau.  No need for ski crampons, just slog the slope. From the plateau, I followed my route from yesterday and made a beeline towards McClure Rock.  The wind was again blowing briskly from the NE but the entire route was very slushy.  What a change a day can make.  Once on top of McClure, I lounged for a while hoping for a miracle to firm the snow pack.  No luck - been bad. I was about 50 yards above the masses on the Muir snowfield trench yet there wasn't anyone on my side of the Rock-go figure.  I descended the climbing route and it was a series of dips, bowls and moderate slopes in mushy conditions - forgetable. At the top of the plateau, I descended a straight line rather than traversing skier right into the bowl.  Played dodge my snow pinballs.  It appears the warm trend will continue for awhile and the conditions may be a wee bit sloppy until the FL drops.  Zap
How did you find the stability/slide potential?  I was thinking about Nisqually chutes tomorrow (Sat).

Greg,

With the predicted FL between 9-10,000', I doubt the Chutes will firm up much during the evening,especially with their south exposure plus the entry point is around 8500'.  On the 15th, I could see the old slough path in the Chute.  On the 16 and 17th , I was unable to see the Chute except for the top.  Zap

Reply to this TR

june-17-2004-mcclure-rock-backside
Zap
2004-06-18 08:00:38