Home > Trip Reports > May 3 2010, Cocaine Chute, Sierra

May 3 2010, Cocaine Chute, Sierra

5/15/10
US elsewhere
Posted by JimH on 5/6/10 8:19am
The best thing about the Dana plateau is the access. The gullies on its N side are more or less right across from CA-120 and the routes are pretty straight up and down. No dilly-dally. Just up and down. So after grabbing a breakfast sandwich form the Mobile Mart (aka 'the Mo Mart' or the 'Whoa Nelly Deli€™) we headed up the canyon and parked the car.

The ascent was straightforward. We crossed a bridge over a creek, strolled through a forest, battled Manzanita for 10 minutes, and started skinning up the 'V-bowl.€™ That bought us our first 2k of elevation. The snow was soft already, but we pressed on, hoping for better conditions up high. A few minutes of contouring brought us into the cirque that Coke chute resides in. Its full of chutes and gullies coming off the plateau and its eastern shoulder. What a beautiful place.

After a short stop to eat and hydrate, we started up the gully. Cooler temps, some wind and firmer snow gave us some reassurance, but we still wanted it colder to buy us time for a good descent. Fortunately, we made good time and reached the top of the couloir around 11:20. I deposited my skis just under the top of the couloir and booted over a snow step with my axe to reach the plateau.

The views were certainly worth it. The Dana Plateau is basically a big alpine table-land with several prows and gullies dropping off its N side. Mt Dana, the second highest point in Yosemite NP, is just to the S of the Dana Plateau, across a hanging alpine valley that€™s hidden from the highway. To the east you see Mono lake far far below, and the edge of Nevada.

By then it was time to go. The snow was stable but past ripe. The turns were fun, if a bit soft, and the terrain was actually very moderate, probably never going beyond 40 deg. The snow skied well enough into the bottom of the hanging cirque, where we met 2 other parties just now gaining the base of the gully and starting up its fan. Hopefully the wind would pick up for them and slow the thaw.

The last 2k down the V Bowl were fun but soft. More big sweeping turns in slushy snow.  Then a short Manzanita thrash. Then a stroll through the pines to the car. After getting our boots off we found a cool swimming hole in the creek to rinse off in before lunch.

For lunch, we ate at the Mo Mart again. In fact, we 'ate for the cycle€™ at the Mo Mart on this trip; 1 dinner, 1 breakfast, 1 lunch. That€™s a totally worthwhile goal if you€™re near the Dana Plateau some time.
Excellent TR and photos.  Jill and I drove to the area  at the base of the  V Trees on May 4 after my tour of Black Mt.  We spoke to a couple of guys who had just skied the same area.  There are so many options in the area. It's amazing how good the food is at Mo Mart.  Tioga Pass should be opening soon.

Jim great report I'm jealous I lived in June Lake for many years and I long for the spring skiing there. Just a note it's the Sierra not Sierras. Sierra is already the plural in Spanish and Cali. talk. Keep on enjoying that Cali. spring skiing.

Thanks for the correction skimac. You're right, it is Sierra (no s). I guess I had my brain in Anglo gear while writing the TR.

June lakes is amazing. During our storm day we considered heading up to Fern Lake, but ended up going to Bardini in Mammoth, which was outstanding. Carson Peak was also on the tentative 'to ski' list, though it will have to wait for another year. As will Gibbs, Ritter, the Negatives and lots of other places. Too many options eh?

Reply to this TR

may-3-2010-cocaine-chute-sierra
JimH
2010-05-06 15:19:15