Home > Trip Reports > May 4, 2010, Black Mt., Eastern Sierra

May 4, 2010, Black Mt., Eastern Sierra

5/4/10
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 5/5/10 1:39pm

Jill has been sidelined for 3 days due to shooting pain in her right leg, so this would be another solo tour.  The good news is that our physical therapist (who was on vacation) called his orthopedic surgeon friend in Mammoth Lakes (who happens to be one of the docs for the Olympic Ski and Snowboard team), and Jill was able to see him Monday morning.  X-rays confirmed that she has severe arthritis in her right hip. Walking into his office waiting area was like visiting a ski/snowboard poster shop with signed photos. I think we found the right guy.  He showed us hip joints of older racers and instructors before and after hip replacement, and said that Jill was "heroic" in doing what she has with the condition of her hip. He showed us the type of replacement procedure (anterior vs. posterior) that he uses for skiers.  He had his staff set up an appointment for that morning at the hospital across the parking lot for an X-ray aided cortisone shot in the hip joint.  The radiologist came in wearing his ski outfit with sunglasses on his head; he told Jill that he was at the hospital that morning because he was waiting for the snow to soften before he went skiing in the afternoon.  Now most normal folks might have been uncomfortable with all this, but we felt great €“ these people understand our passion. Looks like Jill will be getting a new hip joint this summer€¦.

OK, the TR.  We drove from our campsite at Mammoth Creek north to Virginia Lakes Road and parked at the end at 9600€™.  The lake at the base of Black Mt. was frozen, and several ice fishermen were jigging for trout.  I skinned by them and received the curious look of €œyou€™re going to climb and ski that?€  Well sure, why else would you climb it?  There were 10-15mph breezes at the base, and the forecast was for 50 plus mph gusts as the day progressed.  The approach up Black is very straight forward in that you climb a few gulleys and ridges, and then decide which ridge or bowl to cross to get you to the summit.  After a couple of weeks in the area, I€™ve finally acclimated to the elevation, have shed a couple of pounds, and the 2100vf went fairly quickly for an old guy.  Once I approached the summit ridge, the winds were brutal.  Every step was cautiously placed because even at 205 ponds I was swaying in the wind.  It wasn€™t pleasant on top, but I captured a few photos towards Yosemite and Mono Lake.  After a quick descent of only 100vf I was in the bowl and protected from the wind.  The top 500vf was a combination of crusty snow and breakable crust requiring jump turns.  Then the snow was sun drenched, and I began an enjoyable mix of giant and slalom corn turns.  The terrain options surrounding Black are varied €“ moderate and steep bowls, steep cornice lined descents, gullies and treed ridges.  Touring off the Virginia Lakes Road is wonderful.  The coverage is still excellent. The fishermen gave me big smiles as I poled back across the lake, and a few relayed to Jill that €œhe€™s crazy€.  That certainly was a nice compliment.  ;) Hopefully, my ski buddy€™s cortisone shot will €œkick in€ soon, and we can cruise the corn at Mammoth on Wednesday. 

author=Zap link=topic=16588.msg69398#msg69398 date=1273120742] The fishermen gave me big smiles as I poled back across the lake, and a few relayed to Jill that “he’s crazy”.  That certainly was a nice compliment.  ;) Hopefully, my ski buddy’s cortisone shot will “kick in” soon, and we can cruise the corn at Mammoth on Wednesday. 

As for you Zap... well there is no cure for "Crazy"! The only temporary solution I know is more skiing!

Best to Jill, a new hip will work out well. I know several skiers who have had this procedure and ski real well without pain.

Glad the conditions are working out for you!
Thanks for doing all the homework for me so when I retire I have a game plan.

You gotta love it when the Doc really understands who you are.  I ski with mine and kayak with my dentist.  The lawyer...?  well.., i just pay him.

Yeah David, and fortunately they don't stick to your skins. 
Zap, Jill - Hope those med's are kicking in Jill, and you're on Mammoth today enjoying thos big sweeping turns through the corn!  You know, you guys are really doing us youngsters a big favor, beta'ing all these structural procedures so when we eventually get there too we'll know what to do and who to turn to!!  Glad you found a first class surgeon.
Gerry and Linda

Zap where's your beer and pole ?  ::)

fun stuff zap .. sorry about jill's misery .. i think i can totally relate .. i'm having the same pain .. but starting with acupuncture .. those cortisone shots sound pretty effective though

btw we were at squaw last sunday for a day of skiing .. we planned to get out on mon for some bc but it fizzled ..

Reply to this TR

may-4-2010-black-mt-eastern-sierra
Zap
2010-05-05 20:39:02