Home > Trip Reports > Cinco De Mayo! Alpental

Cinco De Mayo! Alpental

5/15/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Merk on 5/5/10 8:57am
Not about to let Alpental take away one of the best days of the year to go skiing, Snowdawg and I decided to earn some turns.  Got up to the hill at about 8:30.  Skinning up, we noticed the snow was a bit wet down at the base, but improved once we reached Chair 2.   Off the top, it was clear that Nash had it going on.  There were quite a few tracks from the prior evening, but it was easy to find a fresh line.  The snow was AWESOME!  Once down Upper Nash, the snow quickly turned heavy, but still quite turnable.  We decided it was worth a second lap.  We found ourselves at the top of 2 once again, and got more of the goods, savoring what could be our last powder day till next season.

HAPPY CINCO!!!
Upper Nash was definitely well preserved even this evening.  Snake Dance was pretty fun going down to the base too. 

Excellent Cinco de Mayo skiing! 

I think I was skinning up with you guys.  I was the one in the red hat.  Great beginning to the cinco de mayo. 

The snow was a little bit crusted on more southern facing aspects.  But very nice for the most part.

I dropped off the top at 8:30 pm - Upper Nash was pretty good, but I found the refreezing goo at mid-elevation to be less fun. Bottom of the mountain skied like refreezing butter. I'd originally intended to head back up Thursday morning for turns, but I'm not sure conditions were good enough to make the drive again.

I bet there's some goodness to be found in Edelweiss Bowl. Spindrift had filled in the skintrack along the upper reaches of 2, and wind effects were starting to build hints of slabbiness.

Thanks for the skintrack!

We saw at least 5 groups gettin' it on for Cinco turns.  We hit the window -- surprisingly good conditions top to bottom at c. 7PM.  Fun evening.

We were there! Skied off the top at about 8:00 PM and found some great snow on the way down. The skiers making margaritas on their tailgate as we headed out though had the right idea.
Peter wanted to ski on his Praxis so he duct taped two sets of skinny ski skins to each ski and used some patched together day wreckers (Trekkers) to tour on that broke again on the way up. The skins started to let go as well on the upper mountain so we were a little delayed on our way to the top.
How often do you get to make powder turns in daylight after a day of work and a 1,900' climb?

Reply to this TR

cinco-de-mayo-alpental
Merk
2010-05-05 15:57:51