Home > Trip Reports > June 16, 2004, Paradise Glacier-Back Door

June 16, 2004, Paradise Glacier-Back Door

6/16/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zap on 6/17/04 9:19am
Another perfect day on "the mountain".  Rather than travel the standard Muir snowfield route which is "mushy", foot trampled and busy, I traveled what I call the "Back Door". The route starts behind the Paradise Inn and there is a sign indicating the TH to Golden Gate.  The trail is traveled by hikers/hotel guests to the Edith Creek bridge and a bit beyond.  After this point, you'll probably be by yourself.  Besides being quiet, the snow surface is relatively smooth and not beaten with 1000's of boot tracks.  Skinning is an enjoyable experience.  As I was approaching the bowl and steeper slopes leading to Golden Gate, I could hear the skimming of the skins on a slightly frozen surface and a slight depression in the snow. I starting saying to myself that this could be another "perfect corn day".  Oh yeah !  At the base of the steep slope, I put on the ski crampons and it was enjoyable ascending the slope to the plateau at 6440'.  The wind was again coming from the NE and it was pleasant skinning.  The normal route heads easterly and descends slightly and travels below the cliffs and heads towards Cowlitz Rocks and the former Ice Caves area.  You then climb the Paradise Glacier and travel upwards until you decide to turn and descend your climbing route.  Here's an alternative that provides better views and options for descents.  At the plateau head in a NE direction.  You climb numerous benches, bowls and meander upward towards McClure Rock and eventually the base of Anvil Rock.  As you are ascending, you will be enticed by the steep open slopes off to  your right.  These slopes look great from this view, but the cliffs below form a catch basin for the unaware. As you skin along, you'll be able to look climbers left and see the "trench" on the Muir snowfield and you'll be alone about 200 yards to the east of the masses.  I usually start the descent at 8500'.  The views of the icefalls and surrounding terrain are stunning.  As I made my first turns, the snow was a perfect surface of 1" of cream on a firm base.  The slope has a moderate pitch and as long as you don't drift too far skier left or right there's plenty of room to crank high speed GS turns.  The basin rolls skiers right and again you enter the "land of Mush" around 6800'.  As you traverse towards Golden Gate, you travel below the cliffs and hanging cornices.  The slopes above you have a south exposure and remnants of rockfall and sloughs will probably be encountered as you exit.  Once back to the plateau near Golden Gate the descent down the steep bowl was great corn until it flattens and the 'mush" returns for the gentle glide to Paradise Inn.  The only folks you'll probably encounter will be in the Paradise parking lot.  Zap
This is a great part of the mountain and definitley the place to beat the crowds. Skiable through the summer and into October as well! Fun, fun.

Reply to this TR

june-16-2004-paradise-glacier-back-door
Zap
2004-06-17 16:19:03