Home > Trip Reports > May 2, 2010, Mt. Gould, Eastern Sierra

May 2, 2010, Mt. Gould, Eastern Sierra

5/2/10
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 5/4/10 11:22am
Another vast area for touring at the Onion Valley Road terminus is up the Golden Trout Lake drainage.  Jill is still unable to walk much without shooting pains in her leg, so she has another rest day (until she can see an orthopedist on Monday in Mammoth €“ who was called by her physical therapist at home).  So I volunteered to check out the ski conditions towards Mt. Gould.  The trail heads north for about 700vf towards the waterfall.  Then it€™s a short rock scramble until you reach snow again in the Golden Trout Lake Creek drainage.  It€™s not like me to scramble on rock, but someone has to provide €œthe beta€.  The creek drainage is like a wide halfpipe with a gentle grade that has a couple of benches.  Then WOW, it opens to a huge amphitheater. On looker€™s right is the steep access to Kearsage Peak at 12,600€™.  From the summit you can descend the steep northeast gullies down Sardine Canyon to 7200€™.  The mystery part of this ski descent is that you do not climb your ski route, but the ski descent is clearly visible from Hwy 395.  Climb about 3400vf , ski 5000vf, and then hike a 2 mile old dirt road to the hairpin turn €“ where you stashed a vehicle or use your good looks and thumb a ride back to the trailhead.  Rotating looker€™s left there are numerous unmanned peaks with gulleys and chutes.  Looking west is Dragon Peak with a beautiful steep descent line to the base of the cirque.  At looker€™s left are steep north facing slopes of Mt. Gould at 13,000€™ which were still holding powder.  I climbed about 2400vf to my turn around time.  The top 700vf was dense powder on the north aspects, and then Sierra corn for most of the descent to the camper.  This is another tour that offers a multitude of ski descents depending upon aspects and snow conditions. The lower portion of the trail to the rock outcropping and waterfall will probably burn off within a week.  The snow pack beyond the waterfall seems healthy. Sunshine, light breezes, corn snow and cold beer in the camper after the tour.  Life is good.

Photo 1: Kearsage Peak with the steep ascent to climbers right

Photo 2: Golden Trout Lake Amphitheater looking west
Nice work!

We'll have to set-up the car-shuttle option with other TAYers the next time there's  spring exodus to the Sierra.

Hope you and your ski buddy are responding well to your medications, and that you're both able to get out and ski a bit more in the next few days.

Zap your killing me with these reports could you just enjoy yourself in silence  ;D I hope Jill starts to feel better.

Reply to this TR

may-2-2010-mt-gould-eastern-sierra
Zap
2010-05-04 18:22:35