Home > Trip Reports > May 4, 2010, Baker Ski Area POWDER!

May 4, 2010, Baker Ski Area POWDER!

5/4/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by skier8484 on 5/4/10 6:42am
After a 4:45 AM wake-up, I was skinning from the upper lot by 6:45 under clear skies and cool, 24 degree temps.  No other cars in the parking lot, and not a track on the hill as I broke trail up the cat track.  The early bird does indeed get the worm sometimes.  I was reunited with Glacier local, and non-internet user Pete (who broke some serious trail up Herman after the first series of November storms for my group) as I was de-skinning at the top of Chair 1.

First tracks down the Chute were nothing short of epic.  The snow was dry and fast, making for fast turns down the gut of the chute.  Subsequent runs included Sticky Wicket, another Chute lap, and a Pan Face shot to end the day. 

It was by far the best day I€™ve ever had this late in the season.  Every turn was savored, knowing they might be the last true powder turns before winter returns next season.

I think I€™m finally ready for some corn!

(Said semi-decent cell phone pictures)
Very nice. Jealous I am.
Late season pow such a treat.

author=skier8484 link=topic=16571.msg69296#msg69296 date=1273009343]

It was by far the best day I’ve ever had this late in the season.  Every turn was savored, knowing they might be the last true powder turns before winter returns next season.

Sweet Brian,
Glad you were able to take advantage of the some great late season conditions.  ;D
I can only hope you were thinking of us who were working hard to fuel the economic recovery as you were getting face shots!  ::)
The Ridge had a foot of new yesterday, unfortunately, the only thing standing between us and a dawn patrol was the "Road Closed" at the Park Visitor Center.  >:(

Gary

Wow, nice looking snow!  Saturday on Goat it was pudding and slushy tree bombs, what a difference a couple of days and a dump later.

Did they have the road plowed pretty well since the ski area is closed?

author=Travertine link=topic=16571.msg69373#msg69373 date=1273099187]
Wow, nice looking snow!  Saturday on Goat it was pudding and slushy tree bombs, what a difference a couple of days and a dump later.

Yeah, the cold temps and dry snow were a very pleasant surprise, especially for this late in the season. 

author=Travertine link=topic=16571.msg69373#msg69373 date=1273099187]
Did they have the road plowed pretty well since the ski area is closed?

The road was freshly plowed, but slick.  They even groomed the gully below Pan Face later in the morning making for easy skinning!

I understand now the reason Baker is some serious competition for Shames's title of most snowfall of any resort in NA (in fact I think it actually has beat us). That photo of the mostly buried sign is money, and it's May! Well done sir,  I shall report on my hill after the weekend ;D

author=NWBCer link=topic=16571.msg69387#msg69387 date=1273115802]
I understand now the reason Baker is some serious competition for Shames's title of most snowfall of any resort in NA (in fact I think it actually has beat us). That photo of the mostly buried sign is money, and it's May! Well done sir,  I shall report on my hill after the weekend ;D

the gods have truly blessed us with this mountain.

Reply to this TR

may-4-2010-baker-ski-area-powder
skier8484
2010-05-04 13:42:23