Home > Trip Reports > May 1-3, 2010, Cutthroat Pass, Washington Pass

May 1-3, 2010, Cutthroat Pass, Washington Pass

5/1/10
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by savegondor on 5/4/10 6:13am
With much corn to had on Saturday, Mother Nature decided that wasn't good enough and dumped a solid foot of snow on us.  This was my girlfriend's first major trip so I didn't try for anything more ambitious than a few short tours around Cutthroat Lake.  Still the views were awesome, the people we met were fun, and the snow was epic.  On the way down on Monday, the pass was closed....we dodged some snow removal eqipment including a large front-loader removing avi debris from the Early Winters and Blue Lake TR evirons. 

All in all: 60-80 inches of snowpack:  Numerous examples of wet snow slides May 1-2.  Fresh, loose snow slides May 3rd with 7-15 inches of new snow. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3BOsb5OHc
Nice TR and video.  I may head up there in a couple of weekends.

Looks like a fun time earlier in the month. We drove up the Cutthroat road last w/e to check it out and the snow was almost down to the highway but then a local gal said there were lots of bare patches on the trail lower down. We decided to give it a pass this time around.

Went up the Birthday Tour sans Traverse. Nice cornice threatening the route.

yikes!  That cornice looks a lot bigger than normal.  Is it just the perspective of the shot?

Alan

author=BigSnow link=topic=16570.msg70328#msg70328 date=1274983528]
yikes!  That cornice looks a lot bigger than normal.  Is it just the perspective of the shot?

Alan

Looks bigger to me.

Thanks Stoked.

Your first photo shows a pretty "evolved" cornice, but it looks like others I have seen in the past, including shed blocks.  Still scary though.  I would assume that lots of the snow that constitutes the full roll on that thing is a result of the new snow, especially since the cornice already discharged lots of blocks.

Alan

Reply to this TR

may-1-3-2010-cutthroat-pass-washington-pass
savegondor
2010-05-04 13:13:16