Home > Trip Reports > MAY 2, 2010- Paradise Environs

MAY 2, 2010- Paradise Environs

5/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 5/3/10 3:27am
Was hoping for Paradise Glacier but arriving at Paradise found bad viz.
Headed out to Edith Basin.
Lapped Bundies then up to Mazama Ridge.
Surprisingly good. 3"-6" on firm base, not isothermal slop. Very reactive in some wind pockets on steep slopes. Skied great even when it had turned to cream cheese later in the day.
Small bridge at 4th crossing a bit daunting, 15' high snow bridge, 3' wide and undercut on top of small wooden bridge below, I  decided against it and went down to road to cross. Be careful here!

Skinning back up to Lodge from 4th crossing we came across an ambulance loading a skier into it. He had skied off a 15' vertical road cut onto the flat asphalt. Luckily , his buddies said it was just a knee injury... could have been much worse. Glad he's OK.
"He had skied off a 15' vertical road cut onto the flat asphalt"

Owwww... Talk about a flat landing.

Did you happen to notice if there's still snow to the nisqually bridge?  I've never skied all the way to the bridge and was hoping to try that this spring.

Nice time feeling our way through the poor vis Scotsman, my son had a great time.

author=GregSimon link=topic=16558.msg69199#msg69199 date=1272925958]
Did you happen to notice if there's still snow to the nisqually bridge?  I've never skied all the way to the bridge and was hoping to try that this spring.

I was eyeballing that on the way in and out and trying to connect all of the patches. Might still be possible but the last 1/2 mile looked to be going quickly.

Small bridge at 4th crossing a bit daunting
Best to cross that one at speed and not looking down ;)

author=GregSimon link=topic=16558.msg69199#msg69199 date=1272925958]

Not to the Bridge in my opinion. You could probably still ski to the terminus Ok but expect a walk back to the actual bridge.I was checking it out too.

author=Robie link=topic=16558.msg69212#msg69212 date=1272931865]
Best to cross that one at speed and not looking down ;)

Trouble is there is a steep bit of uphill right at the other side= cross with speed= going down into da river!!!!!
Mofro and his 10 year old braver than me and crossed and as I said I went down to road.
Undercut snow my concern. It's the engineer in me that makes me such a coward. I had already caclculated the loading per square inch and slip circle of the bridge. :-[

Is the paradise river road plowed ?

author=Robie link=topic=16558.msg69234#msg69234 date=1272940953]
Is the paradise river road plowed ?

If you mean the road from the visitor center down to 4th crossing... yes as far as 4th crossing as of yesterday. They actually scooped up the last of the snow exposing the asphalt just before we skinned up. We were able to stay on skis by using a foot wide snow shoulder... but only just.
exposed asphalt will increase shoulder melting so it's prolly hikey hikey time.

Thanks for the report Chris.

Are putting some good stink into those new boots of yours?

author=JibberD link=topic=16558.msg69247#msg69247 date=1272946707]
Thanks for the report Chris.

Are putting some good stink into those new boots of yours?

Well yes Douglas I am. Are you still sweating profusely in you midriff area?

Reply to this TR

may-2-2010-paradise-environs
Scotsman
2010-05-03 10:27:15