Home > Forum > Eastern Sierra Road Access-IT's CORN TIME

Eastern Sierra Road Access-IT's CORN TIME

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 May 2010 20:49 #191776 by Zap
For those who are considering a road trip, here’s a brief status of the Eastern Sierra roads that we have accessed recently for backcountry touring.

Bridgeport: Twin Lakes Road – open and Glacier Crest has the best snow pack we have seen.  Matterhorn looks healthy.

Conway Summit: Virginia Lakes Road – open and snow pack is healthy.

Lee Vining: Tioga Pass road – closed but Poole Power Plant Road provides good access to Dana Plateau.

Lee Vining: Mo (Mobil) Mart/Whoa Nellie Deli at Tioga Pass Road is open.  Great food.

June Lake Road: open and easy access to Mt. Wood.

Mammoth area: Sherwins look very brushy this year.

McGee Creek Road: open to Pack Station.  Esha Canyon looks good.

Rock Creek Canyon: open to Pack Station at about 9100’.  Pointless Peak and terrain towards Bear Creek Spire look “fat”.

Bishop: Bishop Creek Road open to Lake Sabrina, South Lake Road plowed to Parchers Resort on April 27.  Bardini still skiable from campground.

Big Pine: Glacier Lodge Road open to lodge.  Kid Mt. very spotty. Did not walk towards the Palisades to view coverage(I hate walking on dirt)

Independence: Onion Valley Road clear to road end at 9200’.  Excellent snow pack.

Keough Hot Springs outlet(free) water is pleasantly warm with great views of The Sierra.

Oh yeah, IT'S CORN TIME !   8)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
02 May 2010 21:15 #191777 by peteyboy
That's awesome, Zap, thanks so much. I'm planning to go the week of May 15-22 if weather permits - any speculation that far out? Did you check out the road (I forget the name) that goes up from Tom's Place? Any word on the expected opening of TPR to Tioga Pass (hopefully to remain closed west of there for a while)?

More
03 May 2010 08:42 #191780 by Vance
Thanks Zap for the info, it's nice to have local knowledge to help plan when to head down.

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 May 2010 21:10 #191831 by Zap

That's awesome, Zap, thanks so much.  I'm planning to go the week of May 15-22 if weather permits - any speculation that far out?  Did you check out the road (I forget the name) that goes up from Tom's Place?  Any word on the expected opening of TPR to Tioga Pass (hopefully to remain closed west of there for a while)?

The weather forecast this week is ideal for Sierra corn development.  I would suggest you Google "The Dweeb Report".  Howard is on vacation this week but he provides an excellent forecast and links on his website.  The road near Tom's Place is Rock Creek and we were there a couple days ago and there are 3 foot snow banks at road end above 9000'.  This canyon is rather unique in that it runs north-south.  Lots of tour options. 

The following guide books may be useful:

Backcountry Skiing California's High Sierra by John Moynier, 1999 edition

Ski and Snowboard Summits in California by Paul Richins

Backcountry Skiing California's Eastern Sierra by Dan Mingori and Nate Greeberg, 2008 Excellent descriptions and photos

As for Tioga Pass, I have not heard anything about an openinng date yet.  Jill and I "got lucky" 2 different years and were the first vehicles up the pass for the opening.  I think it was Polish luck. ;)

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 May 2010 22:10 #192188 by Zap
Good news :Tioga Pass is Open !

Bad news: Jill and I missed the opening.

Good news:  Jill's Total Hip Replacement surgery is Monday.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
23 May 2010 16:43 #192190 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Eastern Sierra Road Access-IT's CORN TIME

Good news:  Jill's Total Hip Replacement surgery is Monday.

Go Jill go! Hope the recovery is swift, as pain-free as can be, and complete! :)!