Home > Trip Reports > April 27, 2010, Glaciological research

April 27, 2010, Glaciological research

4/27/10
Posted by silaswild on 4/27/10 11:10pm
After yesterday's awesome tour, we had trouble choosing a follow up for today, and ended up with a very late start from the parking above Villar d'Arene.   After ascending about 600 meters up to the Glaciar de l'Homme, we saw the results of an awesome slide off the Glaciar du Lautaret and decided we should study the shrinkage of the glaciers instead of proceeding higher in the warm weather.   We saw a dozen or so skiers descend l'Homme from the Eagle's Beak Hut, decked out in harnesses and full gear.

When they asked what we thought we were doing ascending at this late hour, we told them we were studying the glaciers, and pointed out that the Homme had sunk about 30 meters in the past 140 years, Ecrins scholars that we were (or pretended to be?)

Like yesterday we had a pretty mushy descent, and since it was only noon, I decided to traverse the col d'Arsine back to our gite while Rob drove to check out La Grave and then back for a rest at the gite.   The traverse was good exercise, the Arene hut has incredible views, and the skiing was unconsolidated snow, but another 600 meters of character building turns.
Great to see that you have such fantastic weather and were able to bag the "classics". If you can make it all the way up to the hut (you can access from a different valley as well), I would highly recommend it and maybe do the "Meije Orientale" - a fantastic peak. Else, also consider getting a little deeper into the Ecrins Massif (like "Rouies, pointe de la Pilatte, col des Ecrins...) if you can start from La berarde.
Have fun!

Breathtaking!
Thanks for the post, I miss yurp :(

Reply to this TR

april-27-2010-glaciological-research
silaswild
2010-04-28 06:10:46