Home > Trip Reports > April 17, 2010, Jungfrau, Swizterland

April 17, 2010, Jungfrau, Swizterland

4/17/10
Posted by Michael on 4/26/10 3:57pm
Thought I would do my annual post to connect back with friends in Washington :)

Had a great climb up Jungrau, finally saw the entire area with good weather - AMAZING! Unfortunately the weather was unstable so we couldn't climb other peaks, but we will definitely go back.

We started our climb from the Moenchsjochhuette where we spent the night (a 30 mn hike from the finish of the Jungfraujoc train). A short ski down and we were skinning up in the morning sun to about 3800 m. We left the skis there and finished the climb by foot. Conditions were mostly good, it was nice to have some already installed pickets on our way down to secure our descent. The views were spectacular the entire way - highly recommend it!

On the way up with the Altetschgletscher in the back

Nice views on the way down

Good corn on the way down

Wow, the Jungfrau----very cool.  One of the places I've read about since I first became interested in climbing decades ago.
Did you leave your skis partway up the peak?
How are the lift areas around there?

Awesome climb, Michael.
Nice to hear from you.

Ahh the memories.  Holly and I were lucky spend some time in the Jungfrau region with some friends a few years ago.  Amazing place.  Here is a link to our trip report:

travel blog

@ telemack: yes, we did leave the skis at 3880 m. There was a section in ice (where many people fall actually) and no one skied from the top in these conditions, but with better snow in can be done.

@ Seth: cool TR. We wanted to do a similar loop, unfortunately the weather turned on us the next day.

@ Ron: same here. See you maybe this week end :)

Reply to this TR

april-17-2010-jungfrau-swizterland
Michael
2010-04-26 22:57:01