Home > Trip Reports > April 25, Birthday Tour

April 25, Birthday Tour

4/15/10
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Jim Oker on 4/25/10 4:02pm
Lots of other folks up in the area, and multiple parties on the B'day tour. C'mon - fess up, who else was up there with us?

We parked near the hairpie turn and climbed spire gulley, which was more reasonable than I expected. Lots of folks coming up from the Blue Lake TH side. The skiing down Madison Avenue started with dust on crust, then "powdercorn," then a brief strech of punchy mush (but not too deeply punchable). Periodic breezes were welcome on the next climb. The descent to Kangaroo Col (?) was quite fun - only a few tracks ahead of us, and a nice mix of decent-depth powder and softened snow.

I see why this tour is popular. It was a nice counterpoint to Saturday on Silver Star, when we saw no one (but did, on our descent, see one set of boot tracks going up and ski or board track going down just through the nastiest stretch of woods - I wonder what the story was there?).

Jim wins for the first BD Tour TR of the season.  ;D  We saw BD Tour exit tracks on the drive back from Silver Star.    I see that the Blue Lake Col cornice is alive and well.

Hairpie?  Yuck.  ;) 

Jim, some people call it "Billy Goat Notch."

author=Big Steve link=topic=16464.msg68780#msg68780 date=1272293885]
Jim, some people call it "Billy Goat Notch."

I assume that's the saddle area between the Early Winters/Copper ridge and Kangaroo? Good to know the name. I wonder what the col above is called - the map says Copper Pass is way south of there - maybe "Copper Creek Col?"

author=Big Steve link=topic=16464.msg68780#msg68780 date=1272293885]
Hairpie?  Yuck.   ;) 

I don't know how that name got stuck in my head, but there you go...

Not to spoil Jim's party, but:

Actual first Bday Tour TR of the season...

Sounds like a great weekend Jim, thanks for sharing.

We were up there too.  Started at Blue Lake Trailhead to the Col then up again to Kangaroo Basin to the hairpin.  Great conditions and day.  It was my first time doing the b-day tour so that must count for something, right?

We also had a 14 year old on the trip and it was his first true back country ski.  he did great.

Nice to see you all out there.

Cheers,
Mike

Reply to this TR

april-25-birthday-tour
Jim Oker
2010-04-25 23:02:13