Home > Trip Reports > April 25, Baldy, ONP

April 25, Baldy, ONP

4/15/10
WA Olympics
Posted by chmnyboy on 4/25/10 12:29pm
Started out the day on a high with farm fresh eggs, toast, and oatmeal. Met up with Gary and Greg (stormking) and were hiking by 6:30, not knowing whether the past few days of cloud cover and precipitation were going to make for a mank fest instead of the corn we so desired. I immediately realized that my body wasn't in the mood for physical activity, Gary and Greg climbing into the distance, leaving me to wallow in clouds of terrible flatulence as my body tried to burn through whatever evil I had put into it the day before. I was miserable.

We hit continuous snow at 4600' (???) and made the 4000' climb to the Baldy summit in 3 hours. Our first run was down the most westerly North bowl from the summit, giving us about 400' of windblown new, then 400' of ice, then 1300' of great corn. From there we climbed to the saddle between Tyler and Baldy and skied an east facing run for another 700' of corn before skining back to Baldy's false summit and skiing back down to snowline and returning to the car.

We didn't have any issues with the mank we expected; the snow got a deep freeze last night and a gentle breeze kept the sun's rays at bay.

An awesome spring day, and since I got stuck with the report, I'm sure Gary would love to post some of those pics he took!
Way to go. Glad someone finally skied that.  I've been sitting out in the Straits staring at it for the past two weeks.

author=chmnyboy link=topic=16460.msg68771#msg68771 date=1272252590">
...leaving me to wallow in clouds of terrible flatulence as my body tried to burn through whatever evil I had put into it the day before. I was miserable.

Try some of these next time.  I feel your pain (from experience) regarding touring induced flatulence too. 

author=chmnyboy link=topic=16460.msg68771#msg68771 date=1272252590]
An awesome spring day, and since I got stuck with the report, I'm sure Gary would love to post some of those pics he took!

Yes, it was an awesome spring day. You definitely rallied as it progressed  :D
Here are a couple pictures and a link to a few more.   

http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20100425MtBaldySkiTrip#

Gary

Love that one of Greg with Royal Basin in the background!

^ That is a good picture ^
I am supprised that continuous snow was so high.  I suppose the road was plenty clear then.  That is good news. Now if the weather would cooperate we could get at some of the goods in that neck of the woods.

Reply to this TR

april-25-baldy-onp
chmnyboy
2010-04-25 19:29:50