Home > Trip Reports > June 13, 2004, Tattoosh MRNP

June 13, 2004, Tattoosh MRNP

6/13/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JW on 6/13/04 5:34pm
Rain pounded steadily on my skylight , creating some heavy doubts that it was a good idea to leave the nest. Then I thought Ron and Jeanette just never cancel and If I don't go I'll probably miss a stellar day. By the time we ( Ron ,Jeanette,Stefan,Kelvin and myself) finished breakfast it was indeed lookin better. We left from Reflection lakes with plans to do Plummer Peak. When we reached the base of Pinnacle, after a couple of pretty good squall soakings we decided to stay on the lee side of Pinnacle and avoid at least the wind driven rain.  Skied down on some nice firm corn from the base of Pinnacle glacier. Back at the cars about 12:30, only to find I had failed to cover my Budweiser with enough snow and some camp robbers of the human kind nabbed it!!!!  >:( they could have left me one at least!  8)  My pics from this short but still fun tour are athttp://community.webshots.com/album/152449824OtAEQD  You might notice Ron substituting an ice axe for his ski poles. He left'em home just to see how it would be to ski without them ;D
I hate it when that happens - tourist vermin made off with my beverage stash at Paradise last Wednesday and I had to spring for $5 ESB's at the Glacier Lounge . . .

I saw a funny bumper sticker that applies well here

If they call it "tourist season" can we shoot em? ;D

The snow was suprisingly good considering the amount of rain and warm temps we had . Short on turns, but long on good laughs , I had a great time.
some photos
 http://community.webshots.com/album/152502891KpepNc

Sag/JW-Good pictures-I like the picture of Jerry-he has that look like-- I guess it don't matter about the weather, at least I got a cold beer at the bottom! Maybe you can recover the loss on the homeowners insurance. Nice shots of Ron-He looked like he was kicking some ax! Did he do the climb w/o poles? Sorry I missed out on all the fun and follies. Is there some good coverage still on the toosh? Glad you had fun!

Then I thought Ron and Jeanette just never cancel and If I don't go I'll probably miss a stellar day.
 ;D  Yeah, we NEVER cancel, about 99% of the time when we get to where we are going it stops raining and we have a great day.  Even if we do get a little wet, we haven't melted yet.  ;)  The snow conditions were very good even though the weather was a little winter like.  You can see some more photos at
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/_albumlist.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

Sorry Sag, somehow I missed getting some good one of you this time.  Either I was to busy watching you ski, or my camera was just to darn cold.  It was another great day, and I'm looking forward to more of the same soon.  8)

I used to be a skier, now all i do is hang around the parking lot and drink beers that I find in the snow. BURP!

Robie, If I knew it was you I 'd have left a half rack ;)    Joe the cover is still good , maybe three feet at Reflection Lake.

Robman, That was a classic  ;D
Finally got my pics added on at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/tatooshrangejune132004.msnw

...Ron- ...Did he do the climb w/o poles?

Actually, Joe, as I contemplated the day without ski poles at the trailhead, climbing was my greatest concern.  I had never climbed up or skied down without poles but I figured if the little toddlers at the ski areas can ski sans poles it couldn't be too hard going down.  But I fall over enough skinning up WITH ski poles, so I had no idea how that would be.
Thoughts drifted back to the time years ago when I knocked a ski off on the lift and I figured if all you hotdog skiers could ski down on one ski I should be able to make it down with just one -- NOT. That was a train wreck.  Well - anyway - skinning up without poles was not too bad and fairly uneventful.  Slipping back when I got too steep was a bit startling so I tended to keep my climbing angle a bit lower.  However after a while, when I got it figured out that it was doable without any major problems I just loaded up and booted it the rest of the way.

Good work Ron?-we forget how much we rely on them when we are climbing--especially on the steep kick turns.

Reply to this TR

june-13-2004-tattoosh-mrnp
JW
2004-06-14 00:34:50