Home > Trip Reports > April 23-25, 2010, - Methow Pass/Golden Horn

April 23-25, 2010, - Methow Pass/Golden Horn

4/23/10
Posted by Glorificus Adventum on 4/25/10 11:56am
I arrived at Swamp Creek at about 630pm Friday evening after work. I skinned in for about 2 hours and made camp at about 4700ft in a little clearing. The skinning was a little annoying because of the lack of cover (a few bare crossings) and frozen over.  It had been lightly snowing and continued through the night. Left the next morning under blue ski sucker holes and eventually found a snow bridge to cross swamp creek (mostly uncovered). The northern shoulder was the easiest skinning thus far but as soon as I began to gain elevation climbing up to methow pass, the trees became super thick and a hell of a headache. Eventually it started to break open which gave way to a few thin spots but pretty soon I was able to make good time. Arrived at the pass at about 1 with thick clouds rolling in. Not sure if I wanted to stay, I decided a little ski was in order. Made a ~600ft run off the knoll immediately to the east. Snow was fast over a very firm crust. At this point it started to snow with some earnest so I made camp. Sunday morning I got up at 6 to find opening skies. Headed north out of methow pass towards golden horn. Snow was superb! About 3" of new that was fast, light and smooth. The main slope off of golden horn was scoured so I cramponed up to the top of the ridge to lookers right (~7400ft I think). Things really began to clear up with the clouds lifting. Skiied down in just the right mixture of great weather and terrific snow. Broke down camp and skiied back down to the valley. As a note: Its a notably easier route, up and down, if you come up right under the knoll instead of the pass. The trees are better spaced and I only hit 3 or 4 rocks down low, horray! Skinned about half way staying high side thinking I could ski the rest bleeding off elevation as I needed. Horrible idea! Should have kept the skins on the whole way and stayed above the creek 100-200ft. I got my butt kicked crashing through trees, crappy snow, the works. It was a full on beating; the sort of time when you are REALLY excited to see the car again. All in all it was perfect N. Cascades terrain and weather (mostly). This is one of those routes where the approach/exit can really make or break the trip.

Reply to this TR

april-23-25-2010-methow-pass-golden-horn
Glorificus Adventum
2010-04-25 18:56:24