Home > Trip Reports > April 24, 2010, San Bernadino (Switzerland)

April 24, 2010, San Bernadino (Switzerland)

4/24/10
Europe
Posted by silaswild on 4/24/10 2:34am
Departure for Europe was delayed a week by the Icelandic volcano, but happily EuroSki2010 began today.  Rob arrived yesterday, and we drove from Milan Malpensa airport to San Bernadino in pouring rain, but a good forecast.   We had dinner, bed, and breakfast at the Capana Genziana where we shared a double room and the other 100 beds were empty.  Slow time of the year, and for good reason I suppose, the snow was unconsolidated corn, kinda like we left at home.  :)

After a leisurely 730AM breakfast in the fog, we were surprised to see the weather actually clearing.  We got a crack of 9 start from the end of the plowed road about 100 meters from our hut.  Blue sky and beautiful scenery inspired us when the sun made us want to quit, clouds rolling up from the valley kept pace with us, covering us at the ski summit around 1230PM.   We hiked on to a slightly higher point and when we returned to the ski depot, the clouds began melting away.  Visibility was great on the ski down, which was not great but ok skiing.   No meals to write home about yet.  :)
So this is when I can start living vicariously through you?  Okay, good.  :)

Regardless of the "OK" nature of the descent on your end, it sure beats the 2 quick laps I did this AM at Snoq. West...

Glad to hear that you have successfully launched for another year. I am looking forward to hearing that costs will be nearly same as in past years, and that the fun quotient is as stellar as always!

"No meals to write home about yet. "
OK, but don't keep us waiting for "der strudel" pictures too long.  Have fun!

Wishing you had taken the Manaslu's?

Reply to this TR

april-24-2010-san-bernadino-switzerland
silaswild
2010-04-24 09:34:55