telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/12/19, 01:34 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  April 2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  April 18, 2010: Washington Pass (Blue Lake TH)
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: April 18, 2010: Washington Pass (Blue Lake TH)  (Read 3624 times)
sheispiste

April 18, 2010: Washington Pass (Blue Lake TH)
« on: 04/22/10, 10:29 PM »

There was a thread not too long ago about why post or write a Trip Report. (I can't find it--ugh) Some bantered for the snow beta, some guys went gaga for, or against, gorilla beating-gloating, and others are fanatics for photographs (that I still can't manage to embed properly). I like writing a TR for the challenge to summarize the day of good company, glorious sunshine, and blessings of our bit of our magnificent planet into a bit of words and pictures. That said, what follows is merely a mélange of sweet talk, and good grace and a couple of sun soaked photo links. I love skiing. I love the mountains. I love the snow. Plus, I was due for a dose of vitamin D.

I’ve only been out to the Washington Pass area—gasp—three times in my tenure in the Pacific Northwest. Twice for larches in luscious color; this time to witness the marvel of the snowpack and the cacophony of silence and spring slides. 
Kevin and I left Seattle in an early morning fog, making bets that it would break by Arlington. Sun beckoned us to the pass and we found Jon, who drove in from Spokane, packing up his bivy at the overlook parking lot. Miles joined us from Everett—we were all packing a Nikon.

Hurray for the hootenanny! The first Sunday after the pass was opened, and the pull outs were packed with Subarus and smiles. One car pulled up with a license plate trim boasting of a small town in Connecticut, (near to where I’m from) and as I introduced myself to this guy, I discovered that he’s actually from my hometown and we graduated from the same high school. As he and his buddy post-holed in the skin track to climb—what, no skis!—and we played the small world game. Unfortunately, I tipped in a boot hole twice!

Those, and many more, boot pack tracks made for the only challenging part of the skin. Snow was firm and forgiving, unless there was little underfoot. At those times, and where the pitch was a bit steeper, it was slippery. However, time in the sun morphed that snow up quickly.

At the bench before Blue Lake Col, we lunched and watched a crew of folks ascend the steep staircase, or descend down the slope, including a dog! Reports from the south side indicated that the conditions were getting mushy in the spectacular sun. By the time Jon finished chatting it up with some serendipitous friends, we made way for a nearby knob to take in the broad views of Cutthroat, Golden Horn, and beyond. We had no objectives for the day other than to enjoy the snow, the sun, and the company. So we skied out much the way we came in. The layer of corn was nice, but on top of that a good 5 inches of mashed potatoes, requiring some serious back seat skiing on the gravy train.  Miles made many a leap!

Jon and Miles returned the next day to attempt the full Birthday Tour, but reported “it was dicey on the other side of the col- mashed potatoes on top of buried powder layer- miles sunk several feet cutting across and it collapsed about 6-8' in front of him! So we headed back down and skied that gully down to the hairpin.”  It appears that RobM found slightly better conditions this week.

Jon walked away from the weekend with a sweet tan line from his headband and clocked another year round the sun.  Happy Birthday friend! Ski ya soon!

any day in the mountains is a good day in the mountains
Marcus
Administrator

Re: April 18, 2010: Washington Pass (Blue Lake TH)
« Reply #1 on: 04/23/10, 07:18 AM »

Nice Jess -- great TR.

Monika

« Reply #2 on: 04/23/10, 08:10 AM »

"There was a thread not too long ago about why post or write a Trip Report. (I can't find it--ugh) Some bantered for the snow beta, some guys went gaga for, or against, gorilla beating-gloating, and others are fanatics for photographs (that I still can't manage to embed properly)"

...yeah, some of my thoughts too sheispiste. 
Sunday Khanh and I were surprised no one had been up to the col since the last storm.  Who would have expected a starry night Saturday to make for ski crampon conditions getting up-- gave mine to Khanh and stomped up with my new fritschivolklkiku setup. Had terrific corn first tracks early in the morning.  Second time down, were joined by the beginning of the masses.  Took other runs later on different aspects holding good corn.  Khanh's first time to WA Pass and she was game for all.  gorgeous day out!

* KhanhWApass.jpg (172.34 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 1161 times.)

* col.jpg (191.38 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 1138 times.)
« Last Edit: 04/23/10, 11:22 AM by Monika » Logged
CookieMonster

« Reply #3 on: 04/23/10, 11:57 AM »

Great trip report and beautiful pix.

How about that couloir visible across the valley in Monika's 2nd photo? Is that the east side of Silver Star?

Monika

« Reply #4 on: 04/23/10, 12:35 PM »

Great trip report and beautiful pix.

How about that couloir visible across the valley in Monika's 2nd photo? Is that the east side of Silver Star?

kangaroo ridge
CookieMonster

« Reply #5 on: 04/23/10, 12:41 PM »

Boing, Boing, Boing. I wish I could hop like a Kangaroo.

Thanks for the data.

Kevin Steffa
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 04/27/10, 11:29 PM »

Thanks for the report Jessica! Here is a link to my photos from our trip last week and our return this week for another round.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kevinsteffa/10_04_WaPass

- Kevin

- Mossman
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.