Home > Trip Reports > April 18, Navaho environs

April 18, Navaho environs

4/15/10
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by glenn_b on 4/19/10 2:42am
Joined Michael and Kevin for a Teanaway reconnaissance.  We could drive a little beyond Standup Creek before a downed tree blocked the road.  Walked about ~1.5 miles to the Stafford Creek trail.  This had patchy snow until about 4,000 feet.  Climbed a step about 4,800' and then east to the 6,000' pass between Navaho and Little Navaho(Point 6442).  Snow was a bit mushy on the way down at 3 p.m. but manageable. 

The highlight of the day was surprising a couple of bear cubs on the way down whose tracks we'd crossed atop the step.  They hightailed it to the biggest Doug fir around and climbed way up, bawling for their mama who, thankfully, we didn't see.
Glenn:

Do you think the road may be clear up to Esmerelda TH by mid may and what about that downed tree?

Craig

The Esmerelda trailhead should be a sure thing or close by mid-May.  As for the tree, someone's going to have to cut or pull it out the way.  There's still some snow on the road but high-clearance rigs were driving it before the tree fell.

I went up the N Fork road on Sat on my snomo.  There weren't any trees down that day.  Glenn - We're planning to head up there tomorrow for a possible climb/ski of Stu.  Do you think the tree can be moved w/ a truck winch or would it need to be cut first?    As for the road, I agree that most of the snow will likely be gone by mid May.  That said, there are a few spots that don't get any sun, so it might not be totally drivable, even then. 

Any sense of how deep the snow is in the shaded area between the guard station and  Beverly Creek?

The downed tree is on the Stafford Creek road.  I understand the North Fork is blocked by snow at the usual spot shortly beyond the guard station. 

Ah, got it, thanks!

Reply to this TR

april-18-navaho-environs
glenn_b
2010-04-19 09:42:35